Panic

Faye Calinao

The sound of the doorbell ringing woke me up from my deep sleep. I groaned slightly from the sudden sound. The soft bed felt comfy and I wish I did not have to get up. Slowly, I sat up realizing I felt drowsy and feeling tired. For some odd reason, a headache has formed. I rubbed my temple and used my other hand to push the comforter off of me. The cold air hits me and I shiver.

Ximen had gone out with Meizuo for the night. As much fun as it sounded to go with them, I needed rest and recover from a full day. I'm not sure what time it is, but maybe Ximen forgot he had the key to the house? Whoever was waiting at the door, I'm sure they can wait a few minutes for me to make my way down. I swung my legs off the bed and stood knowing I would have to open the door. I put my feet into my slippers and stood. I felt a bit off balance, but I knew I haven't eaten since lunch and I felt quite drowsy. I lowered my legs to allow my feet to slide into my slippers before standing.

"Whoa," I say lightly out loud to myself. I balance myself before making the effort to go out of the bedroom. Once I open the door to the bedroom, I squint from the light of the hallway. I walk down the hall and down the stairs. Once I reach the bottom, I noticed the almost the entire downstairs was dark. I made my way past the living room to the front door.

As I opened the door, a yawn escaped my lips. My eyes squint shut for a moment before reopening. When I open my eyes, I expected to see a Meizou carrying a partly drunk Ximen. I took a sharp breath and immediately took a step back feeling a panic arising. I wasn't expecting to see him here. We last spoke earlier today after my performance when we went to the classroom where my things were. Him being here, I couldn't imagine what he is thinking about right now. Will he feel the need to get mad at me or is he going to embarrass me more? I felt so nervous and intimidated all at once waiting for how he would react.

"H-Huaze Lei," I stutter lightly. Heat returns to my cheeks and my heart rate continues to increase. In front of me, he seems calm. I felt stressed about him reacting in a way to make me more uncomfortable that I already am.

I wish Ximen were here.

I noticed my breathing became more uneven than usual and I worry a panic would start. I haven't had once since... I don't want to know what Lei will say in the moment about how he is about to react. Lei frowned slightly and took a step towards me with concern. I immediately take a step back, hitting the frame of the door.

"Faye..." His words sounded faint. The sound of my breathing becomes louder to my ears. "You look pale." To me, everything seemed to happen slow, the only exception is my breathing that I'm sure was now noticeable to Lei. His eyes widen and he tried to speak to me, but I could only read his lips. I was terrible at lip reading as he took a slow cautious step towards me. I couldn't back away anymore as I was against the door frame already.

My legs felt like jello suddenly and I tried to focus on them. At first they locked and I fought with myself feeling like my legs wanted to give out underneath me. I panic in confusion, and I slowly allow myself to slide against the doorframe. Instead I am falling foward out of my control and Lei reaches forward to grab me to make sure I don't fall face first and he breaks our fall. We're both kneeling in front of each other

The look of worry is now present all over his face and I am now worried I'm going to pass out. I wanted to get air back into my lungs. My chest felt constricted and I felt my head swirling out of focus. Lei knelt in front of me. Both hands on each arm. He hesitantly brought a hand to me cheek, and my skin tingled from his cold touch. At first I felt uncertain, but in this moment I realize he was trying to help me calm down. He rubbed small circles against my cheek and looked directly into my eyes.