Breakfast

Faye Calinao

"Here we are," Lei says as he opened the door to the cafe. I thanked him as I walked into EQ Nordic Eatery. I stepped inside and the first thing I am welcomed with is the smell of sweet bakery items. I smile as I continue to walk in and I stop where I knew I wouldn't be in the way. This cafe is very spacious and large. There are two floors for seating and dining. Right in front of me was the line leading to the cashier to place an order and pay.

The presence of Lei now beside me sent small shivers and I turned slightly to him to see he's already looking down at me. He placed a hand on my lower back and he smiled before looking forward and began leading me toward the stairs to go to the upstairs dining area. Lei led me to a table by the railing so we had the view downstairs and could look out the large windows of the streets of Shanghai. It's a very beautiful place to be. He stepped away from me to pull out the chair for me to sit in.

"Is there something you crave for this morning?" Lei asked me.

"I'm up for a surprise," I smile up at Lei.

"Okay." He makes his way down the stairs and I watch as he falls into the small line of other customers. I watch from afar as Lei waits in the line. Every so often he would look up and catch me looking. Lei would smile up at me and my heart flutters once more at the sight. He has a genuine smile and shows his teeth. Lei is a different person from the one I met yesterday. As Lei is approaching close to the front, he is surrounded by wine bottles on short shelves. He looks at them and takes one from the shelf. I look confused at him wondering what he is up to. Lei approaches the front and orders for the both of us.

I take my phone out of my purse to see a voice memo from Meizuo. I bring my phone to my ear to listen.

"Good morning Faye! Or.. maybe it's afternoon for you. I hope you're feeling better. I wanted to make sure Lei is behaving. I'll see you later! What should we do tonight?"

I respond to Meizuo's voice message before sending one to him. Ximen also sent one to me. He must have sent it when Lei and I were walking in. I listen to his voice message.

"Faye." Ximen sounded so... sophisticated. "I know you're probably going to end up spending the day with Lei. I want to let you know I'm going to be out of the house all day and won't be back until late. If you need anything from the house Lei knows how to get in. I'll see you sometime tonight."

I send Ximen a voice message as well before I place my phone on the table. I saw Lei coming up the stairs with the bottle of wine. He walks over and takes the seat from across.

"It's barely noon," I say.

"I know." He says and opens the bottle. He reaches for my glass and fills the glass halfway. He does the same for him. "I think you like this one. If you do we can take the bottle for later." I nod and I take my glass and take a small sip of the wine. Lei waits for my reaction. The sweetness fills my taste bud and it takes a moment for me to figure out what the flavor is. There's a bit of acidity to the wine. I grab the napkin and dab my lips. The label to the bottle was facing towards him.

"I like it," I comment and take another sip. "I'm sure I haven't had this one before."

"Beerenauslese riesling." He takes his second sip. "Since we're here having a wonderful breakfast, can I ask my original question I had for yesterday?" I take a moment and pretend to pause before shrugging.

"I'm not sure. You've already asked me a personal question." Lei rolls his eyes in a playful way before breaking into a smile.

"We are having a meal together, aren't we?"