Difference Between Like and Love

Faye Calinao

Laughter went around the table as I listened in on their conversation. I noticed myself, Lei was quiet the entire time since we arrived at the restaurant. From across the table he ate quietly.

"I still think it's funny," Ximen was saying.

"This place hasn't changed. But you guys... After three years, you're no longer high school students, but university students now," Jing spoke as she looked towards Meizuo, Ximen, and Daoming Si. Lei sat beside her and I between both Meizuo and Jing. "Luckily, you guys haven't changed. I'm Glad."

"Hey," Daoming Si said with a smile on his face. I could tell just about everyone here had plenty of wine tonight. "The five of us grew up together," He spoke looking to each of his friends. He of course skipped over me, because I was never a part of the group. "You can say we're childhood friends." The group shared a laugh and I looked towards Lei looking down towards his plate.

"Si hasn't changed. You're still the jokester."

"You're wrong. I'm more amazing now." Daoming Si goes into a bit of talk about his investment and paying for his own tuition fees. Then the two talked a bit about his sister before Ximen spoke up.

"Jing, don't worry about that," Ximen said. "There's a girl who's got all his attention now. Her name is..."

"Dong..." Meizuo participates.

"You two," Daoming Si said playfully and wrapped his arms around Meizuo and Ximen bringing them close. "You can't compare her to my sister. My sister is out of her league." Daoming Si let out a sigh as most of them take their wine glasses to take a sip. Ximen looked towards Lei curiously.

"Lei," Ximen spoke. "Why are you so quiet?" I looked towards him as he looked up to his friends.

"Yeah," Meizuo agreed. "You're even more quiet with Jing around."

"I know. He's always been this way. He becomes really quiet whenever he's happy."

"He doesn't say a word, but his heart beats really fast." Meizuo, Ximen, and Jing shared a laugh. "Lei will never change," Meizuo spoke with a half drunken smile on his face. They continue back and forth before making a toast for Lei. I quietly joined my glass when Lei speaks up for the first time tonight.

"I'm not!" Lei said in a tone that made everyone look towards him.

"Lei?" Jing asked softly. "What's the matter?" Lei turned towards Jing with a bothered expression. After sitting here this evening, I could easily tell he's into her.

"Jing, why did you take those vulgar photos? That's not like you at all." Here they seemed like a couple. Looking at Jing from beside me, she looked down towards the table with a faint smile. Ximen turned to the other guys.

"Is Lei acting like he's jealous?" Ximen asked. Jing says how she liked them before asking Lei did he not like them. Him denying that he did, she mentioned this was why she liked him before leaning towards him to give him a kiss on the cheek.

"Wow!" The whole group said in unison. Each of them asked for a kiss and I looked down.

It was difficult to join in when they talked about memories and remembering times that I was never a part of. Lei took a sip of his wine. I fiddled with my fingers, because I at the moment felt that I did not belong here. I felt out of place. I felt I needed a bit of air for just a moment.

I excused myself by standing and everyone looked up towards me. Even Lei looked towards me in confusion. I never liked being the center of attention when it wasn't on the stage. I apologized and told them I needed a bit of air. I denied their concern of needing one of them to go with me. I excused myself once more before leaving for fresh air and to breathe.