Meizuo

Faye Calinao

"You're so cool Faye Calinao! Can I go to your next performance?" Xiaoyou asks as she hands my phone back to me. A few moments ago she had asked me if I had a recording of myself practicing. Me being the very technical person when it came to having recordings of myself, I had plenty to choose from. I liked to record some of my practices to keep track of my progress.

"Of course," I smile at Xiaoyou. The two of us have been sitting here for the past forty five minutes keeping each other company. I liked the company of another female. When I moved to the states I stayed to myself for a while. I wasn't very fluent in english and I struggled to allow myself to feel free after being bullied and humiliated almost everyday of my first year of senior high school. My time was spent in my room or the rehearsal room, perfecting my playing ability with the cello. It was my junior year of high school when everything came together. I auditioned for symphony as a cellist, I auditioned for Area All State, accepted the All State, and performed solos. I remember visiting Juilliard with one other person from my orchestra and a few band members.

After getting into Julliard, it was a competition the moment I decided to go there. My focus and time was spent hours at a time in a practice room or a rehearsal area, wanting to be at the level of the seniors at the school. My professors knew I worked longer hours and always rehearsed pieces one after another. When I became a junior, I received the solo part for several of the pieces I did in the ensembles I was a part of. That year I signed with a record label and released a single from the album. .

Once in a while, there would be a few customers making a small order. Most of the time Xiaoyou sat with me and we talked about some of our interests

"You have to meet my best friend sometime," I say thinking back to when she told me her interest in tea. "I'll bring him sometime." She nods shyly and looks past me. I turned around slightly to surprisingly see Meizuo standing by the door. I tilt my head in confusion wondering why he is here. "Meizuo?" I questioned. I knew I was going to see him later on, but I didn't think I would see him so soon. He walked over to the table and stood in front of us.

"Faye," Meizuo spoke and smiled.

"This is Xiaoyou," I smiled and looked towards her. She waved shyly before looking down. "She works here at the wonderful tea shop!" He seemed to be very fond of my excitement. Meizuo himself turned towards Xiaoyou to introduce himself.

"I'm Meizuo." They both shook hands and he looked between the both of us. "I hope I wasn't interrupting anything too important?" Xiaoyou shook her head and stood slowly. She fixed her apron before looking towards me.

"Faye has been keeping great company," Xiaoyou commented sheepishly. "It's great to have someone to talk to when the shop is slow." I nod in agreement to have company as well. I turned to Meizuo wondering why he turned up here suddenly.

"Is everything alright?" I wonder where Lei is. I realize now it has been quite some time since I left him with two freshman classmates of ours. It has been quite some time and he never came here to reunite back together. Meizuo's expression turned a bit sour before covering it with a smile.

"Of course. I wanted us to go grocery shopping to prepare tonight's dinner at my home." I nod standing. I readjusted my purse before taking the empty cup. I turned to Xiaoyou and smiled towards her wanting to keep in contact with her.

"Can I add you on WeChat?" She beams excitedly at me as we both take out our phones. Once I scanned the barcode on her screen and accepted her request. "I'll see you soon!" I waved goodbye and I walked with Meizuo out of the tea shop. It wasn't until we were a few stores down, I turned to a quiet Meizuo walking beside me. "Where is Lei?" I questioned. Meizuo broke out of his trance and looked towards me.

"He... had to go somewhere. He didn't say where, but asked me to meet you here." I felt confused why he'd suddenly leave without telling me and why he seemed off.

"How could he just leave me...?" I asked more myself. "I was waiting for him at the tea shop for almost an hour and he couldn't have messaged me?"

"Lei can be..." Meizuo tried to find a way to describe him. "...someone who doesn't usually have someone he is tied down to and look after. He kind of does his own thing sometimes. When we're together, he can show and be off in his own thoughts and leave without notice." I wrap my arms hugging myself and Meizuo takes notice. "I'm sure he did not mean to abandon you." Meizuo wrapped an arm around my shoulder and pulled me close to him as we continued walking.

My mind was swirling with my thoughts and I leaned my head slightly on Meizuo. We walked in silence for a few minutes before Meizuo came to a stop and turned towards me, making us break away so we could face each other. I looked up to see he had an unreadable expression at first.

"Are you alright Faye?" His tone was soft. As soon the question left his lips, the constricting heartache feeling returned in my chest and my eyes began to sting. I lower my eyes in embarrassment. All the feelings I felt from the music store until the moment I stepped into the tea shop returned back to me. My positive mood evaporated. I bit the inside of my lip trying to hold back the tears.

The first tear trickled down my flushed cheek and Meizuo reached forward to wipe it away. He stepped forward and wrapped his arms around me and I leaned my head against him. I wrap my arms just above his waist to hug him back. We stood like this for a few moments as I tried to calm my nerves down. Once he pulled away, I apologized for my emotional self and he shook his head with a troubled expression.

"What did Lei do to make you upset? I'll call him right now and make him apologize!" I shook my head not wanting to cause trouble. The way Lei talked about me to other people made me feel... small. "How can I not confront him? Ximen will be mad."

"Don't tell Ximen," I say nervously. Meizuo looked confused at my request. "I don't want to trouble him with all of my worries. It's nothing major."

"But Lei..."

"I'm not used to his behavior," I force myself to smile. "I'll be okay." I wanted to move on with the rest of my day. "We need to find some papaya and malunggay leaves with a few other ingredients." He debated for a moment and realized I wasn't ready to talk about it before he smiled sheepishly; nodding.

"What are we making Chef Calinao?" We began walking again with him leading the way.

"Tinolang manok, a Filipino type chicken soup. It's flavorful."

"It seems we will be having a great meal tonight. I'll cover the drinks then."

"You boys and your drinks."

"It's called for a nice relaxing evening. After an interesting week, I wouldn't mind a few drinks from home. Let's have fun tonight, yes?" I nod in agreement. Meizuo held the door open for me. I thanked him and walked outside.

"Will Ximen be joining us?"

"He will eventually. We're going to have a great night. Food, drinks, music. Spending time and getting to know you more," Meizuo says teasingly and I let out a shy smile knowing what he meant.

"Who says I'm going to allow myself to be really drunk in front of you?" I say just as teasingly at him. He raised a brow and smirked slightly. Meizuo and I already bonded so well the night we first met and I already consider him a trustworthy friend. A night with Meizuo and Ximen together is something I now look forward to.

"You seemed to have no problem the other night," Meizuo chuckled. We walked into the parking lot and I followed him to where he parked. Both of us went inside his car and headed for a supermarket.

"It isn't my fault I was enjoying myself," I huffed and folded my arms. I smile slightly trying to pretend I was pouting. "Whatever Ximen ordered for me was really good."

"Really good huh?" I nod and looked towards him. His eyes were focused on the road.

"Isn't there anything better than trying to see if I can get drunk on a friday evening?"

"I feel that you want to. Don't deny it Faye Calinao."

"I guess you're right," I smiled sheepishly and thought about my odd morning with Lei.

///

Next update: Wednesday!!