School Arrival

Faye Calinao

"I can't wait to see you perform," Meizuo spoke after a few minutes of silence in the car. The two of us just left Ximen's home making our way to school. "You must be very musically talented for the school to ask you to perform for the whole music department."

"I'm honored to be performing for the school," I spoke. "I always feel nervous before I do a performance. Usually I forget where I am when I start performing." I smile at the thought.

"I'm sure you will be great. Ximen told me you are a well known cellist in the music world? You must be famous." I smile sheepishly feeling shy all over again. I'm well known all over the world with one single created and an album on the way. "Does this mean I get a photograph and a video?" He breaks into another smile.

I turned towards him and hit his shoulder gently since he was after all driving. He took this by surprise and took a glance towards me briefly.

"Hey! So that's where Ximen gets the hitting from. He takes after you."

"Or I take after him," I shrugged.

"I like you. We're going to be great friends. I can see it." I looked towards him and could tell he meant it. A part of me is happy that Meizuo has been kind and welcoming since I have been here. I felt unsure if Ximen's other friends would accept me. I'm sure they wouldn't have back then.

"Well I like you Feng Meizuo."

"I'm a very likeable person, Faye Calinao. Your last name... it doesn't sound common here."

"It's common in the Philippines. My father was originally from Quezon City and moved to Shanghai with his family at a young age."

"Ah, so you're part Filipina then?" I hummed in response. "I thought when I saw you yesterday you may have been mixed. That's cool. Have you ever been?"

"Few times to see my cousins and extended family." Meizuo nods.

"Do you know how to make some of the filipino dishes?"

"I know how to make some. Want me to make some?"

"Yes, please! I'd really like that. I visited Manila for a brief time with my mom a few years ago and enjoyed the food there. Maybe we can plan a weekend where you and Xieman come over to my house and have a Filipino cuisine night."

"I'd love that! Also maybe for lunch we could go to Luneta? It's a Filipino restaurant here that I loved going to. I hope it's still open?"

"That does sound really nice...," he starts off slowly. "But I usually have lunch with Ximen, Ah Si, and Lei in the cafe or we're in the bridge room."

"Oh..." I'm not sure if Meizuo was implying for me to go to lunch with them like Ximen had suggested earlier. "Maybe sometime in the evening or some other time."

"Of course we can. You know you're welcome to sit with us for lunch."

"It's okay," I shook my head dismissing the idea. "I forgot I have to do a few things on campus today." I think my decline for lunch made Meizuo go quiet for the rest of the ride. In twenty minutes, we are pulling into a more settled area that seems spacious. I realize as we are passing the sign we are entering Ming De University.

There is a bit of a view as we drive on the outskirts of campus and soon we are entering a parking lot where the student parking must be. Once we were in the park, I took my seatbelt off and the both of us got out of the car. I opened the door to grab my school bag and violin case. Before I could take my cello, Meizuo took a hold of it and closed the door shut. I walked around the car to follow him towards the sidewalk leading towards the buildings on the left side. I noticed a group of students standing around having a conversation. I noticed one carried a guitar and another holding onto a bass. Once we were in a better site of the small group, the guy who faced Meizuo and I looked up and his eyes widened. I was within hearing distance of hearing their chater.

"Guys! Faye Calinao is here!" The other two people turned in my direction and I put on a smile. Meizuo looked towards me as I walked in front of him slightly towards the three students. I could tell both of the guys and the girl were excited as I walked over to me.

"Faye Calinao!" The girl said with the happiest expression I've seen since I've arrived here.

"Hello," I spoke using my professional tone I use when I meet fans or when at school. I could tell from beside me he was surprised in my change in tone.

"It's an honor to be meeting you!" The guy who first spotted Meizuo and I.

"We're excited to hear you perform live today," the second guy spoke in the same excitement as the others. "Everyone here is excited for your arrival!" I smiled and looked between the three of them.

"What year are you three?" I asked. The three of them explained to me they were freshman and they asked me about what ensembles I would be joining this semester. I told them I would be in the symphony group, play along with the freshman group for a piece, and be preparing a private recital with a senior for graduation.

"You must be doing the recital with Huaze Lei," the girl pointed out. "Ah, you're so lucky to be able to perform with him! You're here with Meizuo! You're already acquainted with half of F4."

"F4?" I questioned. I turned to Meizuo who smiled and continued to nod.

"Most popular senior guys at Ming De University! C-can we have a picture with you two?" She now asked nervously as she looked over to Meizuo. I looked to Meizuo making sure he wasn't going to deny their request. He looked towards me and could tell he better pick the right answer. He let out a deep sigh before smiling towards them.

"Sure." The excited freshman gathered around Meizuo and I. I think it's the girl's phone we are taking the picture with. I smiled for the camera as we took a few pictures. The girl showed the first to me and I smiled at the picture. Meizuo had this somewhat serious look, but had a smile on his face that looked cute. The three freshmen thanked me for stopping by to talk to them and can't wait for the performance. Meizuo began leading me towards what I assume is the music building. He held the door for me and went inside.

"Are you accompanying Lei for the recital?" Meizuo asked once we were fully inside. To our left I could see the entrance to the auditorium. We were in a very spacious foyer where there were couches, tables around. I looked up to see there were multiple floors.

"I'm not sure who I'm accompanying," I said lightly. Meizuo stopped walking and turned towards me. He had an expression I wasn't sure if it was good or bad. "I only know they were just accepted for the masters program at Julliard just a few weeks ago."

"That would be Lei,' Meizuo stated. "He's the only one here who has gotten into that program."

"He's part of your F4 group?" He nods in response.

"He excels in the music department here at Ming De University. Just like Ximen, Ah Si, and I excel well in the business department here. We're well known for our performance here and our Bridge club we have here on campus."

"I haven't met Lei..." I said softly.

"You will see him soon," Meizuo half smiled. I have a feeling there was something he wasn't saying. "You should probably get ready for your performance." I nod remembering I have a whole performance about to happen in about an hour.

"Where is the president's office?" Meizuo motions towards the stairs.

"It's on the fifth floor. Once you reach the top, take a left and the offices are on that end." I thanked him before making my way towards the stairs.

///

Meizuo and Faye are going to be great friends in this story! I can't wait for you to see Fayes friendship between all of them. Eventually I'd like to make each chapter longer.

What do you think of the story so far?