Lei's Words

Huaze Lei

"Lei!" From left to right, my classmates were calling out my name as I make my way towards the music building. I nod slightly towards my classmates as a greeting and continue to walk, not stopping for anyone. Today is the day we see the performance of Faye Calinao, one of best cellist of our age in this world. Everyone here today are excited to see her performance.

When I was accepted into the masters program for Juilliard in the U.S., they asked if Faye Calinao could be my partner for the senior recital here at Ming De University. First, I was unsure why Faye would want to come here during her senior year to perform with someone she did not know. I knew she had was near complete with her studies and from an interview, she had said she wanted to come back to her home country for her last year before continuing on at Juilliard.

"Faye Calinao is already inside!"

"You're so lucky to work with her!" A freshman called out. I kept my expression neutral and my eyes fixed at the music building. There was chatter about either me or Faye Calinao. This has been the chatter of the music department since Monday. The President made an announcement early morning of Monday and since my classmates have been eager for todays performance. I had my violin ready in hand to practice after her performance. I opened the door to the music building and walked straight in.

The foyer is already filled with my classmates and professors. Some were standing around and having a chat and others were walking into the auditorium. Before I head for the doors of the auditorium, I spot Meizuo standing. His arms were crossed and he looked around. To my surprise, I wonder why he is here. I wasn't sure why he would be here. He is usually never in this building. Once he spots me, he makes his way over.

"What are you doing here?" I asked him. I began walking to the auditorium so we could find a place to sit.

"Thought I'd come see the performance. I've heard from our classmates here that you'll be working with Faye for your recital?"

"Yes... She's my accompanist from Juilliard. Juilliard asked their top student to come here to be my accompanist when I was accepted in their master program."

"Aren't you excited she's here?" I looked towards him confusingly. Why would Meizuo have interest in Faye? He likes older women.

"She's my accompanist Meizou, nothing more. What has gotten into you?"

"Nothing. I'm myself. Ever since Jing went to France, you haven't been yourself." I chose a row towards the center of the auditorium. I wanted to be able to have a clear view of the performance while having great resonance. We took our seat and I continued to look forward while we continued our conversation.

"What does Jing have to do with Faye Calinao?"

"I'm just saying. Maybe you and Faye may have a lot more in common than you would think. I know you always had something for Ji-"

"You can't compare the two together," I frowned. I'm not sure why he would bother me with this and where this was coming from. "I've known Jing since we were little. I'm not interested in my accompanist."

"I was trying to say you would make great friends..."

"Why?" I looked at him now. Before Meizuo could speak, the president spoke into the microphone trying to get our attention. I turned to the stage and the chatter in the auditorium came to a halt. Our president spoke about our special guest coming from the states and talked about some of her achievements and future plans at Julliard. She went on about coming here to complete her final studies here and to welcome her onto campus.

"Lets welcome Faye Calinao!" The auditorium erupted into an applause and I watched as she appeared from the right side of the stage with her cello and bow in one hand. One of my senior classmates whose focus is the piano walked on from the other end with a violin placing it at the end of the piano before taking a seat. I assumed they were going to accompany her today.