Story

Huaze lei

I let out a tired deep sigh. Ah Si and I were making our way to our last class for the day. Students made a pathway for us to walk and there were a few girls who followed from afar. I kept my attention forward walking with my notebook. Earlier I had mistakenly forgotten to stop by my locker in the music building to pick up my school bag. I left without it as soon as I left the classroom Faye was in. I was distracted with my first encounter with Faye Calinao that I went straight for my first class. I told myself I could go to my locker after the class, which Faye happened to be in.

She happened to be in my music theory class and my writing class for English right after. I knew from across the room she took glances at me. Her expression seemed to have mixed feelings. Being her first day here, I'm sure she hasn't had the time to meet anyone. She must be alone here on her first day. Her first encounter with a student was me and I may have given her a cold shoulder. It was in my nature to not care about anyone outside my friend group. There was a part of me who wanted to welcome her. A part of me did not feel the need to be different with her.

Faye Calinao has made an impression into the music industry at a young age. She can befriend anyone she wanted and I did not feel the need to give her the satisfaction of becoming friends with Ah Si, Ximen, Meizuo, and I. I was part of a closed group and had no interest of making new friends.

Second time today, I have forgotten to stop by my locker to pick up my bag. I left our writing class in a hurry to meet with Si, Ximen, and Meizuo in the cafe. I had left my bag in the locker the previous day, because I felt I was caught up with my schoolwork and did not think it was necessary to take an extra trip to the music building after a long day.

The one thing I made sure to have with my was my journal for my writing class with Professor Liu. It's the one class to make sure I have my journal, because we use it at the end of every class. Sometimes we may use it more than just our journal entry. Professor Liu also made sure we had our journal with us. Having our journal counted towards our preparedness. My journal entry today was about her. The moment Professor Liu dismissed us from class, I immediately left the classroom in a hurry to bring space between Faye and I.

She was flustered by me and I could tell she was nervous with my presence. Her cheeks were flushed and eyes were wide from my actions of closeness. Being honest with myself, she is a very pretty girl and I may be attracted to her. Her performance earlier in the day had attracted me more to her, but I don't know her well enough to allow her into my personal life. I wanted to test her reaction to me. I was right about one thing, she has some sort of attraction to me. If I wasn't in love with Jing, maybe... there was the possibility of getting to know Faye Calinao. Instead, I wanted to keep her at a distance.

"Lei." I refocused and glanced towards Ah Si who seemed to be attempting on getting my attention. "You're unfocused. Why do you seem... distracted?" His expression seemed serious and concentrated at uausal. His dark black hair was back in his usual style. To me, I call it the porcupine.

"It's nothing," I shook my head at the thought of letting Faye cloud my head again. "Music things. Not serious." He nods and lets out a sigh. We enter the classroom where we find Ximen and Meizuo in their usual spot. I frown slightly wondering where they were during lunch. It was unlike them to not show when we planned to eat in the cafe. Ah Si and I walked over and took our usual seat.

"Hey," Ah Si said, getting their attention. The two of them looked up from their phones. "Where were you two? You ditch Lei and I without reason." Both Ximen and Mei Zou looked to each other as if they were doing a quick calculating answer. Something seemed off with them.

"We were having lunch with a friend of Ximen's," Meizuo said. I nod thinking it's probably another girl they met at the bar last night. I never understood the two of them when it came to girls. One week they're with one girl and the next they're with a new one. Both Ximen and Meizuo liked to go out to the bars on a Thursday and Friday night. They liked flirting with girls, but never seemed to have a serious relationship. Si and I tried going out with them a few times, but it was never my interest in taking part of their games.