Reassurance

Faye Calinao

We're outside

I smiled as I pushed the covers back and rushed out of bed. Hurriedly, I made my way out of the bedroom in my sleepwear and quickly went down the hallway towards the stairs. Butterflies erupted through me as I reached the kitchen and went for the living room where my winter coat would be. Quickly dressing and putting on my boots, I rushed back towards the kitchen and opened the door to let myself out.

Once reaching the outside, the first thing I saw was Lei and Ximen getting out of the car. Lei's eyes looked towards me and the sudden excitement and nervous feeling came coursing through me. I went over to him and attacked him with a hug. Lei seemed surprised by my sudden embrace and wrapped his arms around me. The feeling of reassurance and comfort that he was here made me feel more than alright. I let the side of my head rest against him and I could feel his lips touching the top of my head before allowing his chin to rest on the top of my head for a moment.

"Lei," I spoke softly before pulling away to look up at him.

"I'm here Faye Calinao," he said gently and brought a hand to my cheek. "I've missed you." I smiled up at him, feeling my heart's content at his words. I continue to ask myself how I've become lucky.

"I've really missed you." He smiled sheepishly before leaning forward to kiss my forehead. We heard a cough and we both looked towards Ximen who had his bag.

"It's too cold out here," Ximen spoke in his usual tone. "Let's go inside first where the warmth is." Ximen walked by us and kissed my cheek quickly before going through the kitchen entrance of the house. I turned to Lei who looked tense now.

"What's wrong Lei?" I was concerned. He looked towards me and shook his head slightly before smiling.

"Let's go inside." He took his backpack and violin from the back seat before taking my hand and leading me inside.

"Okay." I smile slightly feeling happy to have him here. Once we were inside and the door was shut, I turned to both boys to see they were waiting for me to show them where they would be staying. I took Lei pulling him with me so we could show Ximen where he would be sleeping. I opened the door next to Rocky and Moonbin's room and looked towards Ximen.

"Ximen, this is your room." Ximen nodded and thanked me before walking inside. I tried to take a step towards the stairs, when Lei's hand tugged slightly so I was forced to turn towards him in confusion, I stared at him. "We're going to my room," I spoke softly so I wouldn't wake up Rocky and Moonbin. Lei seemed to be conflicted and I lifted my head about what was going on. It took a moment before he spoke.

"I'm going to room with Ximen," Lei spoke calmly and I frown slightly confused once again.

"You can stay with me in my room." He shook his head and gently let go of my hand.

"I'd like to room with Ximen."

"Oh? Okay..." I wasn't sure why he wouldn't want to stay with me after being apart for awhile. I didn't mind, but this was unexpected. "Umm... I'll be in the kitchen starting breakfast with my mom, you can come over once you're settled in." He thanked me and kissed my cheek before going into the guest room and shutting the door. A slight unsettling feeling came over me and I let out a light sigh before making my way over to the main house.

///

An applause erupted in the living room as Lei and I finished our mini concert for everyone. I let out a shaky breath as I took my bow off the string and looked towards Lei. His concentration was in sync with mine before his shoulder relaxed and looked towards everyone with a polite smile. I smiled lightly before standing and we both took a bow. Looking towards my mother I could see pure happiness in her eyes as she clapped. My father sat beside her, impressed by our performance.

I told everyone Lei and I would be back after putting our instruments away. I led the way to the hallway where our cases were and put our instruments away before making our way to the guest house. We quickly ran across the yard to the guest house and I shivered once getting into the guesthouse. First I walked over to where Lei was rooming with Ximen, so he could put his case down. He looked over towards me and I felt nervous again. He walked over to me and I assumed he was going to follow me and so I turned to make my way to the stair. Carrying my cello, I reached the stairs and went down the hall to my room.

Opening the door to my room, the light scent of vanilla hit me and I walked in to put my cello down in the corner. I turned slightly to see Lei by the door and I gestured to him to come in. I made sure to have the cello case secured in the corner before walking over to Lei.

My arms wrapped around his shoulder and he automatically wrapped his arms around my waist. I looked up at him and smiled. I brought him closer to me so I could see him. Holding him tightly I let my head rest against his chest and I closed my eyes feeling a bit emotional all of a sudden.

Earlier I felt Lei put a bit of distance since he had arrived and I couldn't help, but feel something was wrong. I held onto him, because I wanted to comfort myself, thankful he wasn't pushing me away. This was the first time all morning and afternoon that I had some alone time with him. Every opportunity I could have had with him, he seemed to be avoiding it.

"Please stay here with me for a little bit," I asked quietly hoping he wouldn't try to head back to the main house so quickly.

"We... should head back to everyone," Lei's voice strained for a moment before shifting slightly. I pulled my head away to look up at him feeling a bit sad, because I've indicated all day I wanted some sort of alone time with him and he purposely ignored those hints.

"I haven't seen you in almost two weeks. It would be nice to have a bit of alone time with you even if it's just for a few minutes." His expression seemed to be unreadable and I was unsure why he wasn't being the tentative boyfriend he has been. He would automatically sense my uncertainty and tend to make sure my worries were nothing to worry about. "It would be nice to sit with you alone and not feel that you're avoiding me," my tone was quieter this time and I decided to be honest with him. We've been working on telling each other how we felt if there was something going on. Lei knew it would be a challenge for me, because I kept a lot to myself as he did the same.

"Faye," he sighed.

"No one is going to notice if we're gone for ten minutes." Looking at him sighs once again frustrated, I knew there was something bothering him and he wasn't ready to share with me what was going on. I knew not to push him. I wish I knew what was going on now to make him act this way. "Okay, okay..." I spoke quickly now trying to push my feelings aside. I averted my eyes down. "Let's go back." I slowly unwrapped my arms from him and walked past him so we could walk out of the room.

///

It's hard to believe we're already at this point in the story. I'm currently in the decision of whether to end the story soon at the checkpoint I decided and make book 2 or to make it one book 🤔

Thank you to everyone for reading ❤️