Honest

Faye Calinao

Gazing up the sky has been something I have been doing quite a lot lately. The sky looked so pretty tonight. I leaned against the railing of the patio just outside the bedroom I stayed in. The cool night air was just at a perfect temperature and I stood here in peace to make observations. There was a gentle knock on the door coming from the bedroom door before I heard the door open. My eyes continued to look up at the sky and look for shapes of objects or see something of interest.

The moment I felt a presence behind me, I could tell it was Meizuo. I turned around to look at him and laughed lightly at the appearance of his sour face look when Daoming Si interrupted our cuddling in the living room. Ximen at the time was asleep to my left and Meizuo was to my right. We shared all of our blankets on the sofa as we started the show One Tree Hill. We knew Daoming Si arrived back at the house sometime close to midnight. He was with the freshman Qinghe, Shancai's friend I believe, making their way towards the kitchen and out the door. It was sometime after midnight we heard commotion coming from outside.

Daoming Si came running into the living like a child. His expression was like a five year old on Christmas Day. It wasn't a surprise he practically jumped onto us telling us to try his squid on a stick. Ximen was very annoyed for being woken up from his comfortable slumber and Meizuo glared at him from ruining a cuddle session with me. After he went up the stairs to let everyone else know. Everything seemed a bit chaotic at first and I shyly walked to my room suddenly feeling shy and not wanting to disrupt Daoming Si's gathering. I knew he pretended to be decently nice to me in front of everyone, but in reality, he may bring it up again in the future of talking down on me.

"How come you disappeared?" Meizuo asked. His tone was gentle and he seemed curious. It was like he was trying to get a reading of me. I shrugged lightly feeling shy in front of him all of a sudden. "Ximen and I were wondering where you had gone off to. Jing and Shancai are looking for you also."

"I feel like..." There wasn't any sign of judgment with Meizuo. "I'd be intruding. It's Daoming Si's gathering. We don't really get along."

"Ah, but everyone notices that you're not there. I'm sure Ah Si wouldn't mind too much. Right now his head is wrapped around the existence of Lei at the moment. He won't really pay too much attention."

"He's still mad at Lei?"

"Childish isn't he?" Meizuo nodded. "Eventually he'll get over it. Plus you have everyone who wants to see you. After all, Ximen talks very greatly of you. You should join us for a little while."

"Okay..." I spoke lightly. He held his hand out and I placed my hand on his. I slowly brought myself next to him and we linked our arms. He looked down towards me and smiled as he led me back inside. We walked out of my bedroom towards the bathroom so we could head out to the back. I could hear the chattering from outside. "Are you sure it's alright Meizuo?" We stopped at the doorway and he turned to me with a reassuring smile. I wasn't sure why I was feeling so shy all of a sudden.

"Faye. You're a part of the group now," He spoke truthfully. "You may not be on greatest terms with Lei or Ah Si, but know that we are like brothers to each other and if one of us brings someone into the group, we will accept them to the best of our ability, because they are significant. Faye, you're Ximen's childhood best friend as well. Ah Si, Lei, and I know you're like a sister to Ximen and if it ever came to trouble, we'd protect you."

At the moment, I wasn't feeling quite sure about that last statement. I only nod so we could head out to everyone. The both of us made our way out and I welcomed Jing's smile. Ximen, Jing, and Qinghe seemed to be at the table making conversation.

"Faye," Jing spoke calmly. Both Ximen and Qunghe turned their heads. Quinghe's eyes widen.

"Whoa," Quinghe spoke in astonishment. "You're so pretty."