I Love You

Faye Calinao

"You're adorable. You know that, right?" Lei was gentle to button his shirt on me. He fixed the collar on me and smiled sheepishly as he leaned down to kiss me once more. My arms automatically wrapped around his neck and pulled him towards me for a moment. I slowly pulled away and smiled up at him to see he was enjoying every moment.

"Ximen will be coming over soon. I can't stay in your shirt."

"Yes, you can. I don't mind." My cheeks were heating and I pushed him lightly.

"He will mind. I don't want to give Ximen the wrong idea. "

"But I like when you're in my shirts."

"I like wearing them too," I spoke shyly. "But I don't need Ximen to know about... this." Lei reached for my hand and held it. Looking up at him it seemed like he was thinking about something and I gave his hand a gentle squeeze. Staying with Lei for the past month has given us more time to spend together and within that time, our relationship has taken it further since Paris. "What's on your mind Lei?" I questioned. Lei remained silent for a moment before focusing on me again.

"I love you Faye Calinao," Lei spoke gently. My eyes widen and my mouth parts slightly in shock as I take in his words. He just... my delayed mind tried to form coherent words. Lei's eyes were searching through mine and I realized he seemed nervous saying this to me. He just said I love you. I wasn't expecting this at this moment and he just... we've been dating since the second week of September and it was now the first of November.

My mouth opened thinking I was going to speak, but at the moment my mind went blank. Lei must have realized I wanted to speak, but was in shock. He slowly took me by my waist and slowly sat me down at the edge of the bed. He kneeled in front of me and smiled slightly before gently taking my hands again, his smile turned into worry.

"I'm moving too fast," he spoke more to himself and apologized. I squeezed his hand trying to force myself to think and talk to him so he wouldn't worry.

"N-no," I shook my head slightly and took a hold of his hand trying to reassure him. "You're not moving too fast," I reassured him. "I wasn't expecting... I'm surprised to hear you say those three words. We just had sex and you're worried you're moving too fast?" I broke into a small smile and squeezed his hand reassuring him we're okay. "I've liked you since we were fourteen and fifteen. Being with you has been the best thing that has happened to me Lei. You don't understand how happy I am to have you being a part of my life and you've been the best supportive boyfriend I could ask for." My sappy emotional words seemed to make Lei smile again. "I'm happy. You're making me happy. You've been amazing to me. And yes, I love you Hauze Lei."

...

"Hi Ximen," I waved shyly as he walked into the living room after being let in by Lei. Ximen had a gift bag in his hand and he seemed nervous for a moment before he walked over to me and smiled. I stood slowly and walked over to him.

"Hello Faye," he spoke warmly and used an arm to hug me. With a bit of hesitation, I wrapped my arms around him, squeezing him a bit before he pulled back and smiled down at me. "It's really good to see you." I took a step back and nodded slightly. Since we last met in person, I would answer Ximen's texts when he wanted to talk, but I wasn't ready to forgive him. Things couldn't go back to normal after him getting angry with me for a second time. "This is for you." He brought the gift bag he held to my attention.

"Thank you... I uh... I have that list you wanted me to make," I said sheepishly and smiled nervously wondering what he would say about what was on the list. I reached for my back pocket of my jeans and handed the folded piece to him.