Celebration

Faye Calinao

"Gu Wei Yi!" Si Tu Mo kicked his side with her foot and I let out a light laugh before reaching over to take a sip of my beer. I looked towards Senior Yu Yin smiling to herself by covering her mouth. Gu Wei Yi let out a chuckle and pushed her foot away before sitting up.

"I'm stating the obvious between them," Gu Wei Yi smiled sheepishly and looked towards me. If I hadn't had any drinks tonight, I probably would have felt embarrassed. Instead, I felt like laughing and it was a comfortable setting with my friends. I knew Gu Wei Yi would eventually mention something like this. This was how our friendship went. We always had this mutual understanding of when to take something seriously or when not to.

The four of us were back at Gu Wei Yi's apartment for the evening after an eventful day. The four of us decided to celebrate the end of this semester before we all part for the break. Si Tu Mo wanted to have one last get together before we separated for a little over a month. Wei Yi, Yu Yin, and I have spent a lot of time together in the lab since we started our research, and we've spent time together outside the lab. Wei Yi more than Yu Yin since she is our senior and I'm sure she has other things to do as well.

"Lei seems like an amazing guy," Yu Yin spoke after a moment. Both Wei Yi and Tu Mo looked towards me wondering what I would say. I felt at ease with them and smiled.

"We've been together now for..." I paused thinking of the time that has passed. "Two months and two weeks tomorrow," I smiled proudly of Lei and I. Wei Yi smiled and nodded.

"You two seem very happy with each other."

"You're a cute couple Faye!" Tu Mo spoke happily. "You're very lucky you two will be able to continue on with your masters in the States. Will you two be living together?" I noticed Wei Yi taking a glance towards her. They would be good for each other. I know they would. I wonder when the both of them will start going out. Seeing they have lived here together since the start of this year, I've found them a cute couple.

"We haven't discussed that yet." The thought of Lei and I sharing an apartment in the city hasn't crossed my mind. My focus has been on this semester and adjusting to being back here in China. My mind was away from being in North America and focusing on my senior year. "Hmmm... I'm sure Lei and I will eventually talk about it in the near future." My laptop began ringing indicating I had an incoming Skype call. "Speaking of the near future," I smiled and leaned forward to hit the answer button.

Yu Yin made her way over to the arm of the sofa I sat in and leaned into the view of the camera. My computer connects through the call and I see three familiar happy Koreans smiling at me and Yu Yin.

"Faye!" Yoon San Ha greeted me. "You answered." Lee let out a chuckle and rolled his eyes slightly at his friend. I smiled and waved to them.

"Of course I would. Why wouldn't I?" I spoke. Lee raised a brow and looked between Yu Yin and I.

"You're having drinks tonight?" Lee asked curiously. I nod and hummed.

"Everyone is excited to finally meet you tomorrow! The day is almost already here," Yoon said excitedly. "Are you sure it's alright to stay with you and your family for the break?"

"Of course it's fine! My family is honored to have you stay with us. I should be asking you guys if it's alright with team management that you're taking this much time off to stay with me."

"It's fine," Lee reassured me. "We are very happy you can host us. Team management is very thankful for you and your team."

"All of you will be staying in the guest house with me."