Lunch Decision

Faye Calinao

Brown curls that reached his forehead. Eyes were brown as chocolate. They seemed peaceful most of the time. His expression never gave anything away. Face calm and angelic, but tone cold and intimidating. I felt small, but at the same time I felt a magnetic pull towards him.

I once had a crush when we were in senior high. I at the time had no idea he was one of my best friends closest friends. I knew nothing of my stand partner, because he never made conversation with me. I was shy and never had the courage to start the conversation. We were stand partners; first and second chair of the violin section.

For a year, we never spoke.

For a year, I turned the pages while he continued playing.

That year was the last time I played the violin in an ensemble. My breathing went uneven as I thought back to my freshman year. Far off from a panic attack, I took deep breaths after he left. I hope one day I would be seen as not a problem.

I shivered thinking about what I have just wrote. I stared at my journal reading over the words I have written down. My first journal entry and it was about him. My heart rate was just above normal as my thoughts swarmed of my only memories with him. Who would have know we would see each other again.

I sat in my writing class. The classroom wasn't anything compared to a lecture hall. The fifteen students were sitting at a desk in a circle.

We're towards the end of class and Dr.Liu announced the last ten minutes was a journal entry. He explained to me for the last ten minutes of each class, I should write about something on my mind and put it into the journal. At the end of the semester he will ask each student to pick an entry to read out loud.

I looked up from my journal and saw Lei directly across from me. Lei was focused on writing in his journal. He seemed to have a lot on his mind as he has been writing almost the entire time. His eyebrows were knitted in concentration. As always, he seemed at peace while his pen moved across the page. This was my our second class together of the day. The first class was advanced music theory and now this class. I'm actually thankful he was concentrated on his writing, because he would have caught me staring.

I've learned quite a bit about the F4 members in the short span I have arrived at Ming De University. They seem to be the outstanding seniors who according to my classmates are good looking, tall, and each of them are talented in their respected fields. They are known as the founders for the prestigious bridge club and they've won multiple championships. They're is a system where you must receive a joker card in order to challenge F4, due to the number of people wanting to challenge them.

The head member F4 is senior Daoming Si who is the heir to Daoming Group. His family is of fortune I could not possibly comprehend. Si isn't only wealthy in China, but internationally he is well known. Si is a business administration major, who has already earned a fortune in his own through his talent in stock exchange. He is also the one who Ximen first introduced me to and it wasn't a pleasant experience.

There is senior Feng Meizuo, who is also a business administration major. Meizuo is artistically and literally inclined. He has a great sense of humor and I can attest to that. It is said he is interested in older women and can be a flirt like Ximen.

Ximen Yan, my best friend; the one I hold close to me like a brother. Ximen is a senior majoring in business administration. He's seen as elegant and skilled in the art of tea. His family for the longest time has influences in the way of tea and in business. Ximen has always a calm and demeanor so collected. He is a charmer, but I never had a crush on Ximen. He has always been there for me when I needed someone to lean on or talk to with my problems. Well... except for the problems I had with Daoming Si and Geng.