Good Morning

Faye Calinao

"Faye!" There's a knock to the bedroom door. I jumped slightly startled, because I was now feeling the time difference. My body thinks it's late in the evening.

"Come in!" I called out and looked over one of the music pieces I would be performing today. The door opens and Ximen appears. Today he wore a collared shirt under his crewneck sweater and has his long beige colored coat on. He also has his glasses to add to his handsome fashion. I've never seen him in them before and knew it was a part of his outfit.

"Good morning Faye," he greeted.

"Good morning Ximen." He opened the door fully and slowly walked in.

"I apologize for the last minute change in plans." He let out a sigh and I frowned slightly in confusion. "I have to meet Ah Si at his house to finalize an assignment before going to school." I bite the inside of my cheek in a panicky way feeling anxious, because I never liked him. My face must look calm on the outside, because he did not seem to notice the mention of him gives me anxiety. "I hope it's alright..." Ximen paused before looking back up towards me. "Meizuo can take you to school today, if that's alright?"

"Sounds good," I nod and smile remembering last night. After the cafe yesterday evening, Meizuo suggested we went to this place called High Point and Ximen hit his head. I watched the two act childish making me laugh at the mixture of serious and goofiness between the both of them. I told them I was fine and would like to go just so we could spend more time with Meizuo for the evening before going back to the house. I wasn't tired, as I am still used to New York time and it would be around the time I would be going to my first class of the morning.

"I'll meet you right after your third class to have lunch? I believe we have the same free time and that is when I usually eat" I wasn't sure if he meant with all of his friends. Ximen noticed my uncertainty.

"I'm not sure if I'll be hungry by then. I was thinking of going to the practice rooms and figure out what I'm going to be performing with my partner at the recital."

"Faye, you have to eat." Ximen gave me this knowing look that I'm trying to avoid eating in a crowded area.

"I'll eat outside the practice room." Ximen let out a sigh.

"Promise me you will have something to eat around lunch time?" I nod knowing I'll never hear the end of it if I didn't have something to eat the entire day at school. Just at the end of this conversation Ximen's phone goes off and he immediately answers.

"Hello Meizuo." Ximen looked towards me. "Yes. She's going with you this morning. Yes... the music building...I'm sure he'll be there... yes. Please make sure she is there early... alright... bye." From this one sided conversation, I can only guess Meizuo was asking about this morning's plan for me. Who will be there? I know everyone from the music department will be there.

"Will he be here soon?" Ximen hummed and nod.

"Grab something to eat. There are some pastries down stairs." I stood. Ximen walked more into the room and he bent over slightly to grab my cello case. I quickly put my music into my folder then into my backpack before picking up my violin case. I followed Ximen out of the room and down the hall leading to the stairs. When we get to the bottom, we are led right into the living room area where he placed my cello beside the couch. "I'm sorry I can't go to your performance with the music department this morning."

"It's okay. You have your assignment. Plus you'll be at the recital at graduation." He led me to the dining table where the pastries were set. He handed me a small plate and I took one nuomici and a croissant. I took the first bite and mentally hummed to myself at the softness and taste.

"Of course I'll be there. I wouldn't miss it." He pulled the tall chair out for me and I thanked him. I took a seat and he took a glass and poured orange juice before placing it in front of me. "I love when I can listen to you play the cello or the violin. I wouldn't miss your important day."

"I can play for you anytime," I smiled at him. He looks adorable in those glasses.

"Maybe this weekend. There's a friend of mine I'd like you to also meet. I'm sure you two will meet at some point being in the same major."

"Ximen..."

"Faye..." He sighed. "They're my best friends also. You've been avoiding them since we were younger and I can't keep you guys separated much longer when I spend a lot of time with all of you." I finish the croissant and move onto the nuomici. "Meizuo isn't that bad, right? Lei is like you and he is in the music major like you. He's like you Faye, he can be a bit intimidating at first, but he's the quiet and calm one of our friend group." I don't say anything. The only person I was worried about seeing was Daoming Si. He may not recognize me as much now, but the terrible past that occurred wasn't something I could forget. He was the first person I was introduced to in Ximen's friend group and it did not turn out the way I thought it would.

"I don't want you to announce to Daoming Si that I'm here," I spoke lightly. Ximen frowned. He doesn't say anything as his phone goes off again.

"Meizuo," he answered. "We'll be out in a moment." Ximen put his phone in his pocket. I quickly take a small sip to the rest of the orange juice and stand to get my bag and violin case. Ximen takes my cello and I follow him out of the house leading towards the front. Once we are outside past the closed in front yard, I can see the other homes surrounding the area. I heard a door close shut and I looked to see Meizuo making his way over. His friendly face made me relax as he approached.

"Good morning Faye," Meizuo smiled. Today he wore a white turtleneck and black pants. He had a long cotton coat as well. Meizuo looked towards Ximen and he carefully handed my cello over to him.

"Good morning Meizuo," I smiled and he looked down towards my cello with a smile.

///

I hope everyone is having a wonderful week <3