Twenty-Four

Once Olivia finally went back into the squadroom, Nick had gone in to see Munch. Olivia went back to her desk and took some slow breaths before finally going back to work. She hated to see how disappointed the new detective had been when he realized that Olivia was his partner. Olivia knew that she couldn't be upset about that, because she would be just as disappointed if she had been in his position.

"Hey, babe. Got any information yet on our vic?" Elliot asked, as he and Amanda walked into the squadroom.

"Not yet. I will soon." Olivia spoke without looking at her husband.

"Okay. Uh, are you okay?" Elliot questioned, as he sat at his desk and saw that his wife's eyes were red and puffy.

"I'm fine. Just... still upset about getting my period." Olivia lied. Elliot nodded as he watched her go back to typing on her computer.

"You will get pregnant soon. I just know it." Elliot smiled softly.

Elliot accepted his wife's reasoning, before starting to do his own research. They all worked quietly until Munch walked from his office with the new detective in tow.

"Alright, can you all stop what you are doing and listen to me?" Munch asked, as he eyed his squad.

"What's happening?" Amanda asked, as she leaned back in her chair and stared at their CO.

"This is our new detective, Nick Amaro. He's going to be Liv's new partner." John spoke, before turning quickly when his phone rang again.

Nick walked away from Munch's office before shaking Elliot's hand and then Amanda's. He avoided Olivia, before sitting at the empty desk across from Amanda's desk.

"We should probably switch desks, now that you are my old lady's partner." Elliot smiled, as he stood and started to clean off his desk.

"No!" Olivia spoke quickly, before feeling everyone looking at her.

"No?" Elliot asked, and Olivia swallowed hard as she looked down at her hands before speaking.

"He doesn't want to be my partner. He shouldn't have to suffer by not only being forced to be my partner, but also having to sit across from me. I'm sorry, Detective Amaro. I'm clearly not who you wanted to be partnered with." Olivia sighed, before finally looking at her new partner.

"I-"

"What did you say to my wife?!" Elliot huffed, as he pushed his chair back and stood.

"I didn't say anything!" Nick exclaimed, and Olivia frowned as she took her brake off and quickly wheeled herself between her husband and Nick.

"I know what looking disappointed looks like, El. And he had it plastered over his face. So sit down before you get in trouble." Olivia breathed. Elliot dropped his eyes to her face before swallowing hard.

"You are still an amazing detective, Liv." He breathed, and Olivia shook her head.

"I'm not one anymore. So please don't lie to me."

///

Olivia left early. She was glad she drove her vehicle so that she could leave without her husband driving her home. Olivia got to her house and asked Lucy to stay longer so that she could just have some time to herself.

She took a shower before getting into bed. She laid on her back and stared at the ceiling before she started to sob. All she could think about was how upset Nick looked when he found out that she was Detective Stabler. 

"Livvie." Alex spoke, and Olivia quickly brushed the tears from her cheeks before looking at her friend.

"What are you doing here? You are supposed to be at work." Olivia sighed, as Alex walked across the carpet before climbing onto Elliot's side of the bed.

"I needed to talk to you about a few things, but especially why you left work." Alex frowned.

"You don't even work with me anymore... so I don't even know why you know, or who told you." Olivia grumbled. She raked her fingers through her hair as Alex watched her closely.

"Do you honestly think that your husband wouldn't tell me? If he can't be with you, he always tells Casey and me what's happening. Casey is on her way over here right now." Alex spoke. Olivia swallowed hard as she avoided looking at Alex. 

"We have a new detective." She breathed.

"Okay? Now, is he or she like a complete bitch already?" Alex asked, and Olivia shook her head.

"No... he's my new partner. And that means that he can't go out into the field because I'm chair ridden. So, he's really disappointed and I think he will probably quit within the week because of me." Olivia sighed.

"He will just have to-"

"I don't think I should work anymore. I can't do my job. No one wants to work with me... so maybe I'd be better off just staying home with Amy." Olivia frowned.

"No, you are going back to work. Want me to-"

"I'm not going back today or ever, Alex. Okay?" Olivia grumbled, before sitting up and slowly reaching out to grab her chair. Alex stopped her before watching her for a moment.

"Casey's pregnant." Alex breathed, and Olivia turned her head and eyed Alex for a moment.

"What?"

"She's pregnant. We are going to be moms..." Alex trailed off. Olivia smiled before quickly leaning over and hugging her friend tightly.

"I can't believe that it worked so fast! This is amazing!" Olivia smiled.

"I just wish that you would be smiling this much about work, instead of frowning and crying about it." Alex sighed.

"Okay, drop it. I only want to talk about how you two are having a baby!" Olivia smiled.

///

Elliot came home that night and found his wife laying in their bed with Amy. She was awake and gently caressing their daughter's curls as she slept.

"Hey." Elliot breathed, as he walked over and gently rubbed Olivia's back.

"Alex and Casey are having a baby. Case is three months along and due in the middle of July." Olivia breathed, without even looking at her husband.

"That's great news, honey... but I really don't want to discuss that. I want to discuss what happened today." Elliot breathed.

"Elliot, I really think that I'm just not meant to be a cop anymore. So can we just accept that fact and move on?"