For The First Time In Forever

Chaos.

That was the only suitable description for the Battle of Christophsis. 

There was minimal strategy, just violence, violence, violence everywhere. The gruesome state of the battlefield was proof enough of that; clones lay dead or dying everywhere amidst the severed parts of Separatist battle droids, a sea of bodies that reeked of death and destruction.

Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi had thought the enemy was defeated, hopeful they could finally catch a break. But since when had Fate been kind to either of them?

Yet another hoard of infuriating, brainless droids began their march towards the exhausted Jedi.

***

Hours later, the raging battle finally took a turn for the better and calmed down slightly. 

To Anakin's irritation, however, he realized his personal battle would soon outweigh the war on Christophsis. "You really think it's a good idea to bring a Padawan Learner into all this?" 

Obi-Wan Kenobi paid no mind to his former apprentice's attitude, replying vaguely about having spoken to Master Yoda about the idea of Anakin putting in a request for a Padawan learner. "You'd make a good teacher," he added as an afterthought.

"No thanks," came the scoff. 

Kenobi wasn't surprised in the least that Skywalker was reacting irritably. He was cocky, brash, and headstrong to a fault, but Obi-Wan wasn't about to lecture him about that. Yet. 

"Anakin," he chastised instead, "Teaching is a privilege! And it's part of a Jedi's responsibility to train the next generation."

"A Padawan would just slow me down!" 

Anakin was far too busy rebutting his old Master's every argument, hence the reason he failed miserably to see Obi-Wan's lip quirk upward slightly into a smirk.

"You'll have to take on an apprentice at some point. Why not do it earlier, rather than later?"

With a still grumbling Anakin in tow, the duo approached the Republican gunship.

***

The ramp of the gunship lowered with a hiss, and through the curling mist, stepped a young girl, who appeared to be no older than thirteen or fourteen. 

She was unique-looking, with orange skin, blue and white striped lekku, diamond facial markings, and lovely blue eyes full of wonder, eagerly taking in her surroundings. 

Togruta, probably. 

Anakin stared in bewilderment. "And... who are you supposed to be?" 

If this had hurt her at all, to her credit, she didn't show it. 

"I'm Ahsoka Tano," the girl said carefully after a moment. "The new Padawan Learner."

***

Still bitter that some youngling had been sent here amid a crucial battle, Anakin did his best to forget about Ahsoka's existence. Unfortunately for him, Obi-Wan chose this moment for introductions. 

"Sorry for the wait, young one. Proper introductions are in order."

Anakin shot her a dirty look.

She paid him no mind. "I'm the new Padawan learner. I'm Ahsoka Tano."

"I'm Obi-Wan Kenobi, your new Master."