Trouble on Tatooine | Part 1

A/N: this one is for LadyGrace1026 — your request is finally here! sorry for the delay but i hope it's to your liking!

***

"Wherever you go, or whatever you do, do not get lost," Anakin reminded her fiercely. "Tatooine is the last place you want to find yourself in a midst of strangers. There are drug dealers, thieves, convicted killers, and other low-lives everywhere. Do you understand?"

Ahsoka gulped, eyes wide. "Yes Master," she stammered, "I understand." She'd never before seen such a haunted look on his face. His playful blue eyes were narrowed, glinting darkly with animosity, mouth contorted into a sneer. Veins bulged from his tightly clenched fists as his knuckles began to turn white.

He relaxed visibly. "Good. Come."

***

"Hello there, Pad- Senator Amidala," Anakin greeted, planting a feathery kiss on her hand.

"Hello Master Jedi," Padmé smiled, a faint blush hidden beneath her makeup. Her expression, however, quickly turned sombre. "How are you feeling?"

He hastily plastered a smile onto his face. "I'm fine."

"You clearly aren't-"

"Padmé!" Ahsoka called out cheerfully, not sensing the storm hanging over them both. "How are you?"

Despite the mood, Padmé smiled at the young girl who hadn't yet gone through the hardships of losing someone she loved. The Senator wished for it to stay that way as long as possible, and greeted Ahsoka as if nothing was wrong. "Hi Ahsoka, it's great to see you again."

"That's great to hear. I'll... leave you guys up to your conversation that I, uh, interrupted rather rudely," Ahsoka mumbled, a slight blush creeping up her cheeks. "Sorry Master, sorry Senator. Let me know when we move out."

***

While Anakin and Padmé finished their discussion, Ahsoka stepped out into the front yard of the house, taking a seat on a small bench, watching the twin afternoon suns begin to hide its rays behind sand dunes as the sky faded into an ombré of orange, pale pink and pale yellow. The young girl admired the power of nature's beauty, even on a dirtball like Tatooine and soon, the sky was merely an inky blue with no light. The stars weren't yet out. Anakin and Padmé still seemed to be engrossed in their conversation, even half an hour later.

What lies beyond the seas of sand? Ahsoka wondered to herself. If I walk straight without ever turning, would I end up upside down on the southern part of the planet? It wouldn't hurt to try, would it?

No, she soon decided. A hundred meters at the most and I'll return.

She set off into the distance, unknowingly walking into days' worth of trouble.

***

Back at the old Skywalker family home, Anakin and Padmé's conversation had steadily faded as they sunk into a comfortable silence.

Too comfortable. Something- rather, someone- was missing.

"'Mé?" Anakin asked, the empty space beside him where Ahsoka always was loomed ominously. "Where's Ahsoka?"

Padmé, too, had realized the snarky Padawan's absence. "I swear saw her sitting on the bench 10 minutes ago!"

"Do you think- do you think she would've gone somewhere without telling us?"

"I doubt she would've gone far, Ani," Padmé said, attempting to reassure him. Yet in the end, that feeling of dread only continued to consume them both.

"I told her specifically not to go anywhere!" he panicked, afraid for her life. "I- I'm gonna go look for her. I don't know what I'd do if I lost her, too."

"Ani! Are you sure that's the wisest thing to do? Tatooine is huge," Padmé reasoned, "she could be anywhere!"

"You don't understand, Padmé!" Anakin roared, turning his anger, pain and frustration on her for the first time since they'd met. "You don't know what scum roams the earth at night and crime levels are especially high. The very fact that Ahsoka could be anywhere is what worries me! What if something happened to her?"

The wild look in his eyes scared her. It was almost animalistic. But it was twinged by fear. The thought of losing yet another loved one haunted him, especially if he could've done something to save her. If anything happened to Ahsoka while she was just beyond his grasp, he would never be able to forgive himself.

***

The Tatooine sky at night was beautiful. Natural. It was what Coruscant sorely lacked, despite it being home to thousands.

Dark navy mixed with indigo stretched on for miles, with silver stars and the occasional meteorite winking down at you from above.

Ahsoka took her time observing her surroundings and the peace at which she felt.

But her peace was temporary.

Meanwhile, Tusken Raiders have had set their targets on her for a while now.
Ahsoka was so engrossed in observing the Tatooine landscape that she hadn't felt the imminent threat.

She barely had time to scream.

***

Anakin was just about ready to tear his hair out as he paced back and forth in the small home. It was too much and he couldn't bear sitting still. "That's it," he declared. "I'm going out to find Ahsoka, no matter what it takes."

Before Padmé had even uttered a word, he was already out the door.

Where could she be? Anakin worried to himself. I can't feel her presence anywhere in a nearly 2-mile radius.

And it was true. He'd checked everywhere! Mos Eisley, the cantina, Anchorhead Pass. She wasn't in any of those places! At this point, panic had truly begun to settle in. Anakin was headed towards Ebe crater valley when he got a call from Padmé, who sounded to be on the verge of tears. "Ani," she whispered, "have you found her?"

With that one simple sentence, his mask came tumbling down. "No, I haven't," he cried in desperation. "What do I do?"

"What you need is to come back and rest," Padmé told him. "We will continue looking for her first thing tomorrow, but you need energy." Sensing he was about to argue, she countered, "there's no room for debate."

"Fine."

And when he finally returned home, exhausted, and worried, the Skywalkers fell into an uneasy sleep.

***

A/N: hey y'all! i'm sorry for being so inactive these past couple of months; please forgive me, school and finals suck. i'm slowly getting back into a more regular update schedule :) speaking of which, i have officially finished editing and re-uploading all previous chapters !!!! hopefully novelhd and other companies like it never finds me again. i hope i didn't scare too many of you off when i came back and changed my username lolol. but anyways enough small talk, here is part one of two for "trouble on tatooine"! the second part will be published very soon, most likely on tuesday or wednesday. anyways it's midnight here for me so gn!

- jazzy