At Long Last, Part 1

here ya go randomwriter2007 (at long last LOL)! hope you enjoy! this is just setting up the scene for your req, there'll be a part 2 :)

***

With her hands clasped behind her back, Ahsoka watched anxiously as the blue and white stripes of hyperspace passed them by. The war was finally about to draw to an end, and peace could be restored to the galaxy at long last.

She'd received word from the Council that Kenobi had defeated Grievous on Utapau, Master Yoda had succeeded in his negotiations with the Wookies on Kashyyyk, and all that was left to do before the end of the war her return to Coruscant with a captive Maul in-tow.

And despite the firm reassurances of the High Council, Ahsoka couldn't help but worry. She had detected no trickery, no malicious intent in Maul's words, only truth. What if what he'd said was true? What if Anakin was the key to it all?

Worse yet, she hadn't heard back from her old Master either.

She had to get in contact with him now.

***

Back inside the Council chambers, the Chosen One himself sat, excluded from the action. While the Clone War raged on outside, he struggled to fight a losing battle between his logic and his conscience.

Palpatine, the father figure and mentor he'd looked up to ever since he joined the Order, was a Sith Lord. The Sith Lord the Jedi had been looking for, the person who had played both sides since the very beginning, sacrificing the lives of so many innocents in his own lust for power.

Someone like him could not be trusted.

But he'd succeeded, hadn't he? After decades of planning, Palpatine had able to get what he wanted. And surely, someone with so much power and intelligence could point an old friend in the right direction? In the direction to save Padmé and his unborn child?

That isn't planning, it's scheming! Someone who had managed to catch the entire Republic, arguably even the galaxy, in his deceit, would easily be able to ensnare him in another elaborate web of lies.

But he had to save Padmé. Her life was easily more valuable than anyone else's.

At the cost of even more innocent people?

No matter what cost, he had to save her. He couldn't bear to lose anyone else close to him.

In a split second, he'd made his decision. Abruptly vacating his seat, he sprinted towards the Chancellor's office; time was running out, and that was something Padmé just didn't have. He was nearly halfway there when an irritatingly incessant sound sounded from his wrist.

His comlink.

Anakin skidded to a halt, gnashing his teeth together in frustration. "Skywalker."

"Anakin?" came Ahsoka's voice. "Anakin, where are you? What are you doing?"

He couldn't quite put his finger on why, but the urgency and desperation in her voice chilled him to the bone. In his quest to save his wife, he had completely forgotten about his former apprentice's mission to Mandalore. "Ahsoka? What's wrong? How was your mission? Were you able to capture Maul?"

"No time. Where are you? What are you doing?"

"I'm in the Temple hallway."

"If you're about to do what I think you're about to do, you need to clear your head. Stay away from Palpatine at all costs. The chancellor is not your friend!"