Midnight Snack

quick note before we begin: let's assume our disaster trio lives in a two-storey house :)

***

Trying to rub away the fog in her vision, Ahsoka slowly made her way down the stairs. Her mind was still hazy from sleep but she categorized the fridge contents nonetheless, trying to figure out what was the best snack to have at nearly 3 am.

She settled on the half-eaten box of blueberries. Plus, she knew that Anakin would still be up, so they could share the fruits, and a couple laughs.

Be quiet Ahsoka, she reminded herself. Don't wake Obi-Wan.

Sure enough, there he was, sitting at their kitchen table, tinkering with some new robotics project of his.

"Hey, Snips," Anakin chuckled, temporarily putting his tool down to make time for her. "Why are you still up? It's quite late."

"Eh," Ahsoka yawned, "I just woke up cuz I was hungry. Also, I knew you'd be here. So, two birds with one stone."

"Miss me that much, huh? But fair enough," her master conceded with a slight laugh. "If you don't eat those blueberries soon, by the way, I'm taking them all."

"Oh no you don't!"

The two easily fell into their routine light banter, as if nothing was amiss. After some time though, Ahsoka felt Anakin's eyes on her while she talked. Weird. He almost always had some sort of input, but this time, he was just quiet. Pensive, maybe even nostalgic. It had been a good few minutes since he'd last said anything.

"Master?"

He quirked a brow.

"Why are you staring at me?"

He smiled at her, but it appeared forced. "No, nothing, just keep going."

So she did, until-

"Ahsoka?"

Her head whipped around. "Master Kenobi," she breathed, "did we wake you? I'm so sorry if that's the case, I swear we didn't mean to be loud-"

"Not to worry, I just came to get a glass of water," Obi-Wan replied. His brows furrowed as he asked the question that would rip Ahsoka's world from beneath her feet: "But who's 'we'?"

Time itself stood still. The young Padawan blinked once, twice, as she processed his question. "'We'? Well, it's Skyguy and I, of course, don't you see?"

The girl gestured to the seat where her Master had sat not two minutes ago. "See? He's right-"

Anakin had all but vanished.

The blood drained from her face. "Master?" she demanded, with an urgency in her voice Obi-Wan seldom heard. "Master? Master! Anakin! Come back! Stop playing tricks on me!"

Ahsoka's voice rose with each shout, becoming increasingly hysterical. She barely registered her free-falling tears or her Grandmaster's arms gently wrapping around her.

"Ahsoka my dear," Obi-Wan whispered, grief clear in his voice too, "Anakin's gone. They couldn't save him."

"No," she whispered, voice breaking. "He's not dead. I refuse to believe he's gone! He was right there!"

"It's just a figment of your imagination, Ahsoka. He was never there."

Her cries were muffled as she buried her face in Obi-Wan's nightshirt. "I can't believe that he's... that he's gone, just- like that."

He wrapped his arms around her tightly, holding her close. "I miss him too. He was a bright star in all of our lives."

The two of them stayed there, mourning the loss of their best friend together. They needed each other more than anything now, in order to slowly begin the healing process, to fill the gaping void in their hearts that Anakin had left behind.

It was soon past four in the morning. Obi-Wan eventually managed to convince Ahsoka to head back upstairs and spend the night in his room so she wouldn't be alone.

At first, Ahsoka downright refused. But that was until he offered her a spare cloak of Anakin's that was stashed away in the back of his wardrobe somewhere.

She finally gave in, burying herself in her Master's old cloak and committing his signature scent — motor oil and hints of citrus shampoo — to memory.

It truly was the last thing of his that she had. Ahsoka finally began to drift off, but not before whispering to the apparent nothingness how much she missed him, and how grateful she was for his teachings and patience.

Somewhere up in the stars, in the ethereal realm of the Force, Anakin Skywalker looked down upon his now former apprentice, his best friend, his sister. "I miss you too, Ahsoka. I'm so sorry we parted ways so early, but I hope you know how proud I am of you. Take care of Obi-Wan for me, will you? I promise we'll meet again someday."

Just as Ahsoka fell asleep, she could've sworn she'd felt someone plant a light kiss on her forehead. 

***

hi guys! it's definitely been a while and i've been really busy so i haven't been able to update until now, but how did y'all enjoy this mildly angsty little snippet? and about that... sorry (not sorry) it was getting wayyyyy too happy over here. we got some ahsoka and obi-wan interaction with some slight snips and skyguy interaction :D

i finally decided on a posting schedule! im going to update at least once a week on either wednesday or friday (maybe even twice a week occasionally if you're lucky 👀), depending on how busy i am, so expect an update on one of those days! 

also, HAPPY BELATED VALENTINE'S/GALENTINE'S DAY :) im gonna post a vday oneshot at some point soon (dw it's not anisoka) bc jazzy has ideas and jazzy will be posting 'em >:)

lastly! randomwriter2007 if you're reading this, I AM SO SORRY I HAVE NOT GOTTEN TO UR REQ YET. LIFE IS KINDA KILLING ME ATM. I WILL DO IT AS SOON AS I CAN, I PROMISE. 

see y'all soon! leave reqs if y'all want :)

- jazzy ^v^