Math Tutoring

A/N: where Skyguy and Skygirl meet at a math class for the first time and discover some unique common ground within each other

"So for this question, we first need to find the values of a, b, and c, and then plug the numbers into the quadratic formula. Because this is a hands-on activity, I will draw names, and those will be your groups of two," the instructor rambled, fiddling with the popsicle sticks of doom.

The students waited awkwardly for the instructor; some chatted discreetly while others stayed silent.

"The pairs will be as follows," the instructor finally announced. "Connor and Evan, Lily and James, Katniss and Rue, Thomas and Alexander, Eliza and Maria, and Anakin and Ahsoka. Go find your pairs; the first group to finish will receive a prize!"

A lean boy with dishevelled brown hair walked towards a table, where a blonde girl with blue highlights sat."Hey," he greeted her confidently. "I'm assuming you're Ahsoka?"

"Yeah, I am," she responded with a slight smile. "I assume you'd be Anakin, then?"

Anakin grinned. "The one and only." Setting his backpack down on the floor, he turned to see Ahsoka opening her binder, revealing a page of carefully written notes. "I've got some idea on how to do this question-"

"Of course you do."

The two shared a look and a cheeky smile before bursting out in ripples of laughter.

***

They were the first ones done and called on Mr. Simmons over to check their work. Anakin noticed that Ahsoka's hands were absentmindedly twisting and turning. At first, he assumed it was merely out of boredom — Mr. Simmons was taking forever — until he realized with a start that they were lightsaber duel combinations!

But what if they weren't, and he'd look like a total fool in front of his new friend? Should he still ask-

"Hey, what are you looking at?" Ahsoka teased, jerking Anakin out of his trance.

"Oh no, I- sorry, are those lightsaber movements? Form IV, reversed grip?"

Ahsoka stared in astonishment. "Yeah, they are," she confirmed. "How did you know? Do you learn lightsaber moves during your free time too?"

"I do! For how long have you been practicing?"

"Around two years; I've started when I realized I should learn to defend myself against potential attackers... in a unique way they wouldn't see coming. Not to brag, but I'm already quite comfortable with using Ataru."

"Yeah? Well I use Form V," Anakin countered somewhat haughtily. "And 'Not to brag, but I'm already quite comfortable with using Shien."

There was even more common ground between them than they thought. For the rest of the lesson, they continued to share laughs, and getting to know more about one another. It was the beginning of a glorious and unwavering friendship.

so hi, i'm alive, how are you?

i'm really sorry for being MIA and i'll try to update more often here and there but there's sadly no guarantee to that.

i'll do my best though... thank you very very much to the few stragglers who are still with me 😅

- jazzy