Stay Alive | Part 1

A/N: Quick note, this starts in ROTS, and Anakin was made a Master, and he did not turn to the Dark Side. Padmé still dies in childbirth, and Ahsoka helped Anakin get out of Palpatine's office.

Let's play a game! (To dull your inevitable heartbreak later on.) It's called "Count the Hamilton References". I'll be planting references here and there, and lmk how many you found!

Now, this is part one of two. Enjoy!

***

In the maternity ward with Anakin and Padmé Skywalker

"Angel... we're parents," Anakin breathed, tenderly kissing his wife's hand. "We're actually parents! Luke and Leia; they're beautiful, just like you."

Padmé exhaled, admiring the newborn twins in her husband's arms. Her children. "Ani," she sighed, "I- I'm a mother now, and- and you're a father!" Although exhausted, she captured his bottom lip in a brief yet passionate kiss before sighing contentedly.

Peace surrounded the couple.

"I think I'll rest for a bit," Padmé yawned, eyelids drooping. "I'm tired."

"Go for it, love. Sleep well," Anakin answered softly, pecking his Angel on her forehead. Scooping Luke and Leia into his arms, he walked out of the room. He had no idea that would be the last thing he'd ever say to her.

***

Ahsoka Tano was, in one word, exhausted. What she'd been through the past two hours had bitterly annihilated any thin, poorly-knit truth she could use to pretend, to imagine, that somehow, everything was okay.

Nothing was okay.

Ahsoka knew that the Jedi Council was biased. Insincere. Hypocritical. Cruel.

But the Chancellor, a Sith Lord? A plot to destroy the Order?

Inconceivable.

Anakin, the supposed "Chosen One", had barely managed to survive a nearly-fatal meeting with Palpatine. His vast network of lies and temptations were like a spider web. You never knew if it's a web or empty space; similarly, you could never tell between his lies and reality.

The manipulative Sith had almost succeeded. It had taken Ahsoka her love, her persuasion, and her version of reality to jerk Anakin out of the trance he'd been put in.

She'd managed to do it done it before he fell too far, plummeting to the darkness below without a ledge to hold onto. Before he committed unspeakable acts of evil for a treacherous cause.

Because of that, she was exhausted.

She had nearly dozed off at her desk, but raw love and sheer joy pounded through her and Anakin's Force Bond had shattered those intentions.

What happened? Try as she might, keeping the exhaustion from her voice was next to impossible.

Anakin didn't respond right away. Yet when he did, his voice was one she'd never heard him use. It was soft, tinged with emotion. Even then, the girl couldn't decipher what emotions were what. It was shocked, colored by awe, one that surpasses even his youthful imagination when discovering new things. After what seemed like hours to Ahsoka, he finally answered.

It's Padmé, he whispered from his end. She gave birth.

Why didn't you call me? Ahsoka asked, slightly offended. I could've been there for you both!

She was answered by silence. Shameful, regretful silence. I'm so sorry, Snips. I wasn't sure if - if you had enough energy to... you know. I'm sorry. Greeted by more silence. Painful, tense silence. But if you want, Anakin continued, tone now hopeful. You could come to visit? I'm sitting just outside room 66 in the Coruscant Hospital Maternity Ward.

After a moment, she answered, Count me in.

***

20 minutes later, Anakin sensed a presence approach him. One he knew well.

Ahsoka.

The twins, sensitive to the Force as they are, blink their sleep-laden eyes to coo softly at their father. Someone else is here, Luke seemed to say. They are coming to visit us, Leia added, gazing at her twin.

Anakin felt his eyes water. He was so... happy. So unbelievably proud.

Ahsoka approaches quietly, careful not to disturb the small family.

You guys are my joy, my pride... No. Pride is not the word I'm looking for. There is so much more inside me now.

"Hey, Skyguy."

"Hey, Snips."

Luke and Leia turned towards the figure, knowing she could be trusted. Their bright, powerful yet scattered Force signatures reached out to the newcomer, groping, discovering her Force presence little by little.

She, in turn, allowed it to happen before greeting them softly. "Hi, you guys."

Luke's tiny, chubby hand reached out towards Ahsoka, grabbing hold of her finger. She beamed, chuckling at the little one's daring actions.

Leia, mirroring her brother's actions, proceeded to prod Ahsoka rather harshly. "Hey," she smiled in turn. "Why so violent, princess?"

"Cute as you three are," Anakin's voice suddenly interrupted, "I'm pretty sure these are my kids, Snips."

"I don't care whose kids they are," she shot back. Hugging both Luke and Leia close, she bared her fangs playfully at her former Master. "They're mine now."

To her amusement, the twins laughed. They laughed.

The Skytwins's hearts melted. The cheerful, twinkling sound of the twins' laughter brought serenity and peace to their messed-up lives. "You guys are supposed to be supporting me, not her," Skywalker laughed thrusting a thumb towards his sister before, gently bopping Luke and Leia's noses. "Let's go see your-"

A gust of cold wind breathed down the backs of the adults' necks, ice shards freezing their blood. All four shuddered violently. "Did you...?" Ahsoka breathed. "Feel that?" Anakin finished. "Yeah. Yeah, definitely. Whoever's heart rate just dropped like that's in-"

Just as they thought their day couldn't get any worse, a shrill scream was heard from inside the room Padmé was resting in.

The rate at which the monitor beeped decreased drastically. Just as the doctors rushed in, Padmé's eyes flickered open, her hazel irises misty from sleep and the difficulties of childbirth.

Anakin turned his head around just in time to see Padmé blow a small kiss at him before the monitor droned on.

He rushed to take her hand-

Her skin was ice cold. She was gone.

***

Anakin sunk into the velvet-cushioned chair. Unaware of his surroundings, he made no effort to try and hide the evident after-effects of heartbreak from his face as he slid his hand into hers.

This was supposed to be the happiest day of his life. How could it be, with his darling Angel now gone?

The mere thought of his wife brought another onslaught of instability in his already fissure-filled heart. Everything reminded him of her.

He couldn't stay here any longer. Not now.

His legs no longer worked properly. Somehow, a single phrase floated out of his mouth before kissing Padmé on her forehead for the last time. "Best of wives, and best of women."

***

A/N: here's the first part! y'all can't attack me cuz i gave you fluff and mild angst. how many references did you count?

comment here!

anyways, see you next angst-filled part!

- Jazzy