Smile Through It All | Finale, Part 1

A/N: Request from MyaviaRaven :)

Also note that in order for the ending to work, this chapter takes place a couple years after the Clone Wars began. Enjoy!

***

Since Anakin's horrifying experience of saving Ahsoka from near death, the two had grown to be practically inseparable. Their friendship had blossomed, until one day, an event came along that changed everything.

"Hey, Snips," Anakin greeted her.

"Hello, Master Skywalker," the young Togruta replied, bowing her head slightly with a smile. Nothing could've been better; Kyrena and her gang had received a brutal telling-off from Anakin -- and that was an understatement -- thus, their attacks on innocent younglings had been reduced to lurking in the shadows and glaring darkly at any unsuspecting passersby that they deemed unfit to be in the Jedi Order.  

"Did you sleep well?"

This was standard questioning procedure; ever since Ahsoka had been released from the medical bay, Anakin had taken it to be his personal duty to make sure nothing happened to her ever again.

Yet, today, instead of greeting her in his jovial, arrogant Skywalker attitude, something was different. His Force presence was darker than normal, and he was constantly fidgeting with his synthetic arm, a sure sign that something was bothering him.

"Yes Master, I did," Ahsoka replied hesitantly. She'd sensed Anakin's darker demeanour. What was wrong? "What's troubling you? Your Force Signature is much more weighted than normal," she remarked in concern.

And so the punchline hits, he thought bitterly. He was nervous for a multitude of reasons; he didn't know how she would take the news, nor was he certain she would agree to the task. "Well,"  he began, "as soon as you fell asleep again that day, I requested an emergency meeting with the Jedi High Council."

Ahsoka's eyes widened. Kriff. She still was constantly plagued by nightmares and sudden panic attacks from that fateful day, and she just wanted to leave it all behind. "What did you tell the Council, and what did they say?"

Another low blow to his hopes.

"They said they wanted to have a talk with you, but they weren't sure what date they could do so."

Silence.

Anakin took this as a cue to continue before she managed to wriggle out of the situation. "They sent for me early this morning and told me they were ready."

As he'd expected, Ahsoka did not take it well. Pivoting on her heel menacingly, she turned to face Anakin. "What do they want me to tell them?" She sneered. "How much I suffered because of them? How many classes and important tests I'd missed due to my injuries? I know how the Jedi High Council functions, Master Skywalker," she spat venomously. "It's full of self-obsessed, arrogant hypocrites who do nothing! It's already bad enough that they reign like royalty and look down upon people without their ranks. What's next? An additional rule in the Code saying they're allowed to poke their noses into things that aren't their business?"

"Ahsoka, I agree with you but-"

"Then why are you arguing?"

"They are concerned about you!"

"Concerned?" Ahsoka hissed. "Let them eat my dust."

As she stormed away, she failed to notice multiple pairs of hungry, devilish eyes following her every move.