In The Bedroom Down the Hall

PLEASE READ THE CHAPTER BEFORE THIS (HEADCANNON: IN THE BEDROOM DOWN THE HALL) TO UNDERSTAND THE CONTEXT!!  

I suggest watching the animatic as you go because while it's not the same characters, it gives you an idea of what Anakin and Ahsoka are both going through during this scene. 

***

As much as it hurt, he couldn't resist going back into her room. 

It brought back so many precious memories, but powerful though they were, shadows cast by recent events loomed over them, overpowering the light they held.

If only he hadn't spent so much time arguing with her. 

If only he'd continued to give her his full, unwavering support.

If only he'd recognized that beneath her quickness to anger, she'd been struggling. 

If only he'd realized how selfish he'd been. 

One morning, he'd felt that something was wrong the moment he'd woken up: he couldn't feel her presence in the Force anymore. And when he'd burst into her room to check up on her, a single scrap of paper greeted him.

I'm sorry Anakin. But I'm not coming back. 

He remembered his knees buckling beneath him and calling out to Obi-Wan in a panic, asking if he could still sense her. 

He'd said no.

Where her bright and optimistic Force presence used to be, only a void remained. She'd cut their shared bond. 

He remembered walking through her room, reliving each memory that had happened there. It wasn't much, but it was all he had left of her now.  

He remembered feeling upset, then bitter, then anger. How could she just leave like that? The Jedi Order was her life, she was one of them! And, leaving without even an explanation? After everything he'd done for her? 

He'd stormed off, fuming. 

But now, he was back; back in her room and back in the present. The Council had also ordered him to clean out her room so they could move him to other quarters, and give another Master and Padawan duo this room. But that could wait. Absentmindedly, he tugged open her closet door, taking the 1st thing that came to view: her Initiate robes. 

The very same Initiate robes she'd constantly complained to him about how itchy and uncomfortable they were. (play video now!)

"You never liked this tunic. You said it never really fit you right, and it itched too much. But I think I'll keep it, I should keep it... cause it still makes me think of you, and that little girl I knew in the bedroom down the hall." 

Somewhere across the galaxy, Ahsoka paused her tinkering with a customer's speeder. Anakin had been wrong; she hadn't cut their bond completely, she'd only put a lot of distance between it and herself, so much so that from his end, it would feel like she'd cut it off completely. She hadn't been able to bring herself to do that. 

She could still feel him and his emotions, just not as strongly. 

This time, she gave in to the connection, singing along one final time. "In the bedroom down the hall, I got you an R2D2 night light for protection. You used to say, it kept the Seppies far away, remember? In the bedroom down the hall, I surprised you with a comic book collection. Next Halloween, I dressed us up like Wolverines. Remember?"

Ahsoka's mind wandered back to sleepless nights at the Temple, when she'd tossed and turned until 0200 or later, counting sheep until she fell asleep. That was until Anakin found out, and fixed the problem. "With glow stars on the ceiling I could count instead of sheep, you always knew which words to say to get me right to sleep."

Her eyes were suddenly glassy. "Anything to make you happy. Anything at all; anything for my friend in the bedroom down the hall."

Back at the Temple, in her room, Anakin reflected upon the countless arguments they'd had after her return to the Order. "In the bedroom down the hall, we went to battle every evening after dinner. I thought I knew some way that I'd get through to you. Remember? In the bedroom down the hall, we fought a war where no one walked away a winner, cause every day, you pulled a little more away... remember?"

He'd tried everything. "Saw the counsellors and the clinics, and the cures a Master tries, cause maybe they could take away that anger in your eyes."

Together, though unknowingly on his end, their voices blended together. "Anything to make you happy. Anything at all... anything for my friend in the bedroom down the hall." 

"Though I tried-" (Anakin)

"You tried-" (Ahsoka)

"-to give your friend the world; give 'em everything you've got." (Both)

"What if I gave all I could and I thought it was enough, but I find that it was not?" (Anakin)

"What if I gave all I could and I'd thought it was enough, but it was not." (Ahsoka)

"Did I let you down?" (Anakin)

"What else could I do?" (Ahsoka)

"Everything I ever did, I'd done it all for you! Anything to make you happy; anything at all. Anything for my friend in the bedroom down the hall." (Both)

Back in her room, Anakin looked down at Ahsoka's old Initiate robes. "In the bedroom down the hall, I think I'll wait another day to pack these boxes, cause once I'm through, I'm left with just one thing to do..." he hugged the tunic tightly to his chest. "Remember..."

***

... i'm sorry