Braiding

A/N: this one-shot is situated on Earth, not in the SW universe, and Ahsoka is also human. Enjoy!

***

"Come on, Snips, we're here," Anakin smiled as he pulled open the van door.

No response.

Buried in a mound of pillows, fast asleep, was Ahsoka, Airpods tucked snugly into her ears.

He chuckled at the sight, making sure to take a photo before shaking her awake. "It's time to get up, Ahsoka."

"Mmph, Ionwannagetup," the sleepy girl muttered, cracking open an eye. "I hate car rides."

"Don't we all? Now come, or we'll be late."

"Fine, I'm up... just give me a minute."

***

Before long, the owners had given them a tour of the ranch, and was now assigning them their horses.

Ahsoka met — and instantly adored — a beautiful white stallion, whose fur was littered with small black dots. "Hello there Oreo," she whispered, "it's so nice to meet you! Aren't you a beautiful girl?"

Oreo purred in delightful agreement.

"It seems that you two have already created a rather strong bond," Rancher Kenobi mused as he approached from behind. "Here's the stool; use that to hoist yourself on."

The blonde shot him a thumbs-up before easily mounting her horse.

Anakin, on the other hand, was having a much harder time mounting his horse. Missy didn't like him at all, and every time he tried to pet her, she'd kick him in retaliation. More often than not, it resulted in bruised shins and aching feet.

Finally, Obi-Wan deemed it a lost cause. Frowning at Missy in irritation, he assigned Skywalker a more suitable partner.

***

"Alright you two, now that I've showed you the basics, try them out on your own. I will go make lunch."

Ahsoka watched his retreating figure, grinning smugly. "Skyguy, what say you to a race?"

"Oh, you're so on. Where's the finish line?"

She pointed between two cedar trees a couple hundred metres away. "I'll say there, since it's a reasonable distance."

"Where?"

"Oh, just follow me," Ahsoka snarked. "You'll be eating my dust anyways."

Anakin huffed. "Don't be so cocky; it might just ruin your chances."

"We'll see about that. On the count of three! One, two, three, go!"

The blonde shot ahead in a gallop, taking a head start. Leaning forward, her blue-streaked hair fluttered elegantly in the wind behind her as she urged Oreo onwards. Moving in perfect syncopation, it was clear that they understood one another perfectly.

Anakin and Twix were right on her heels.
"C'mon, girl, faster!" he prompted. "That's it! The finish line is near."

"Go, Oreo! We don't want to lose, do we?"

The stallion let out an affirmative neigh in response.

Two thirds complete.

They were neck and neck, the line drawing ever nearer-

Four pairs of hooves crossed the line at the exact same time.

After examining the tracks thoroughly, both admitted (though begrudgingly) to a tie.

"Tie breaker?" Anakin suggested.

"Nah, I don't want to tire Oreo out too much. Besides, there are other horses over there I want to talk to. Let's just trot."

***

As soon as Ahsoka slid off Oreo's back, she carefully remover the horse's mane from beneath the saddle.

Suddenly, she had an idea. It was brilliant, and she wouldn't stop until she accomplished her goal. Lacing her fingers in the silky mane, the girl began weaving a beautiful braided pattern.

Five minutes later, she stepped back to admire her work. The French braid looked beautiful. "Alright, girl," Ahsoka soothed. "I'll be right back."

She walked away to braid the others' mane, unaware Anakin's camera was constantly snapping photos. He's just non-stop.

***

An hour later...

"Ahsoka, it's time to go," Anakin called to the focused blonde.

"No!" she retorted, "I've made it my personal mission to braid each horse's mane."

And braid them all, she did.

***

A/N: alright, I think that was satisfactory. I swear my inspiration comes at night and night only... anyone else?

I actually braided horse manes when I went to a ranch, so that's where I got my inspiration from. Oreo was by far my favourite. (don't know her real name but that's what I named her). She (he? they?) was just super gentle and cooperative. She ate grass from my hand too! Multiple times!!!

Anyways, to those who have submitted requests, I will get to them next. Stay tuned!

- Jazzy