20

After Beth bathed and got dressed, she and Puck relaxed in the living room.

"Daddy, can we play the princess game?" Beth asked.

"Don't you wanna wait for Mommy for that?" Puck asked.

"No." Beth said, shaking her head.

"Alright, go get it. I think Mommy left it in your room." Puck responded.

Shortly after Beth ran off, the front door opened and James stumbled in.

"Dad?" Puck furrowed his eyebrow as he got up to help him.

"Get off of me." James said, his words slurring slightly.

"Are you fucked up right now?" Puck asked.

"I might've had a few beers." James answered.

"Dad." Puck sighed. He took a deep breath. "Just give me one sec."

Puck excused himself and dialed Mercedes' number as he headed up the stairs.

"Hey, Puck." Mercedes answered the call. "What's up?"

"Hey." Puck replied. "Are you home?"

"Yes." Mercedes said. "What's up?"

"Can you come get Beth for a little bit?" Puck asked. "Quinn's out and I have to take care of something with my dad."

"Sure." Mercedes responded. "Yeah, I'll come pick her up in five minutes."

"Thank you." Puck sighed. "I owe you."

"Yes you do." Mercedes agreed. "See you soon. Bye, Puck."

"Bye." Puck said, hanging up the phone. He jumped when he heard something break downstairs. He walked to Beth's room and looked at her. "Hey, B. How would you like to hang out with Mercedes today?"

Beth frowned. "I wanna stay with Daddy."

"Daddy has to take care of some stuff." Puck told Beth. "Boring adult stuff. You'll have way more fun with Mercedes."

Beth looked at Puck.

"I'm sure she'll play princesses with you." Puck stated. "And I'll come pick you up when I leave to go get Mommy."

"Okay." Beth gave in.

"Good girl." Puck said. "I'll come get you when Mercedes is here, okay?"

Beth nodded, and Puck returned downstairs.

Puck closed the door to his walk-in liquor cabinet and went to find his dad. James was in the kitchen, and had already shattered a glass.

"Dad!" Puck hissed as he grabbed the other glass in James' hand. He dumped the contents down the drain and left the glass in the sink. He grabbed his dad and looked at him. "What happened to AA and getting sober, huh? My daughter is upstairs."

James didn't say anything. He just swung his arms at Puck while he muttered under his breath.

Puck grabbed a broom and quickly swept up the glass on the kitchen floor as the doorbell rang.

"It's open!" Puck yelled, setting the dustpan onto the counter.

When Puck turned around, his dad was standing there.

"Why don't you grab a water and go upstairs to sober up and then we'll talk?" Puck suggested.

"Worthless." James mumbled. "You always were."

"Go upstairs, Dad." Puck replied as he grabbed James.

James swung his arm back and punched Puck in the face. Still restraining James, Puck ended up being punched a few more times until he finally released his dad, who then threw some of the glass shards at him.

Puck ignored the pieces of glass that hit his skin as he grabbed his dad and threw him against the wall, restraining him.

"Puck, what the hell is going on?"