51

"Hey." Puck said as he walked over to Ruth and Sarah. "Can I join you?"

"Yeah." Sarah nodded.

"Look." Puck began as he sat down and looked at his mother. "I shouldn't have gotten defensive earlier. I know you were looking out for Beth."

Ruth didn't say anything.

"I didn't tell you about Dad because I knew you would tell me I was being an idiot." Puck said. "And it turns out that you were right, but if you had been here, you would've seen what I saw."

"Which is what?" Ruth asked.

"That he was being responsible." Puck explained. "He was going to his meetings and he got a job. He did everything I asked him to do."

"Until he didn't." Ruth nodded.

"I know." Puck said. "And I take responsibility for that, but I'm not gonna take being yelled at or judged by anyone."

Ruth and Sarah didn't say anything.

"Finn gave me his opinion, Quinn and I talked, and that's it." Puck said. "Everybody's okay and we wanna move past it to make sure Beth's okay."

"Okay." Ruth repeated.

Sarah looked at Puck. "He was better?"

"I thought he was." Puck nodded. "He was good, but once he snapped, that was it. The dad we grew up with came right back."

"I'm glad your eye is okay." Sarah stated. "My friends saw the pictures online and sent them to me."

"Yeah." Puck sighed. "I'm okay. I've been through much worse from him, so..."

Sarah nodded back.

"I'm okay." Puck said. "I promise."

"You know you wasted the whole summer." Sarah told Puck.

Puck furrowed his eyebrow.

"I texted you a million times asking to visit and you never answered me." Sarah stated.

"I kinda had my hands full, Sarah." Puck replied.

"I know you have a life here and a family, but still." Sarah said. "I had two months off of school and I didn't get to see my brother."

"You're here now." Puck replied. "And you can come back whenever you want now that Dad's gone."

"That's not the point." Sarah told Puck. "You ignored me and you lied to me."

"I didn't lie or ignore you. I told you I would let you know when it was a good time for you to visit, and it wasn't." Puck shook his head. "You have to understand that when you're an adult, you have shit to take care of."

Sarah folded her arms.

"Grow up, Sarah." Puck replied as he got up. "I don't need a miserable, bratty teenage girl around."

Puck rolled his eyes as he went inside. He walked through the house and went out front for some air. He found Finn and Santana sitting on the steps. Finn was smoking cigarettes and Santana was smoking pot.

"Hey." Puck said.

"Shit." Santana muttered, hiding it from Puck.

"I'm not coming to bust you." Puck clarified as he joined them. "Give me that."

Santana raised her eyebrow as she passed Puck the joint.

"Why are you guys out here anyway?" Puck wondered as he put the joint up to his lips.

"I'm out of cigarettes." Santana shrugged.

"What's wrong with Finn's?" Puck wondered.

"It's a party." Santana added.

Puck nodded slowly.

"Are you okay? What'd you come out here for?" Finn asked.

"I had to get away from all the girls in my family." Puck stated. "Thank god for Jake, 'cause the others are all driving me crazy."

"What happened?" Santana questioned Puck.

"My mom thinks I'm an idiot and Sarah's mad that I didn't see her this summer." Puck responded.

"And Quinn and Beth?" Finn wondered.

"Noah."

Puck looked past his friends at the blonde standing in the driveway. "Crap."