Chapter 33

Witches, feared by many, respected by a few. Known for countless attempts of destruction on mankind. Or so, the books say. Being the sole subject of curses, blessings and spells, witches, are a dreadful subject to be brought up. But are they really? 

People would name things whatever they pleased. Witches can be mages, mages can be witches. Society decided to ban 'witches' and started to call them 'mages'. Hysterically enough, there are places where females are burnt down in a town square. 

"There used to be such cases but now, the rate has dropped Duchess." The chubby man slicked his beard. Surely enough, he was spouting nonsense.

"Count Brooklyn rather seems to be enjoy the view from above." Estelle gazed out the gigantic glass window as the doves soared through Schelias' sky.

"Ah yes, we established and properly cleaned this for your arrival-"

"That is not what I meant." She gave him a cold look and strolled to her room. Being a 'witch' was one of the things she find thrill and excitement in her life. 

---------------

"This is your last chance, do you wish to stay here or join him?" Estelle asked the woman wearing a hood, her wavy caramel locks covered half of her face as she crumped in the warm sofa. 

"I...I wish for more time..." the girl in the red hood answered. Estelle reached out to her and slid her hand to the part of the soft, tamed skin of the girl.

"Do you not loath him for what he has done to you?" making the small girl shake in fear, tears started to stream down from her grey eyes. Estelle was about to remove the hood, to remove the nuisance and further process with the girl.

"You don't have to blame yourself..."

"Haa...I will give you three days, before we declare your wish. I recommend the first option. I hope you choose wisely...Canny." 

'Canny! You can even become a herbalist at this point!'

'I'm not the only one who you'll come to love Canny. So look forward to tomorrow.'

"A...Al-Alex!! Agghh, ALEX!" 

*I guess I did enough to her. Now then, I guess I'll go discuss matters with Lady Octivus.*

-----------

Pain.

'I know how to apply ointment at least!'

Fear.

'Execute him.'

Isolation.

'Continue this and you'll be burnt at a stake Canaria! What if the Duke finds out that my own daughter is a witch?!'

Desire.

'Have you ever...thought of my feelings father?'

The past haunts her everyday. 

'Canny, not all scars can be healed with herbs.'

Everyday she wishes to spend time with the one she yearns for.

'Alex!'

But faith was kind enough to spare him the last of him.

'I love yo-'

Yet it was too cruel to let her live.

'Choose wisely...Canny'

Since when was the last time she felt this much pain in her heart? She doesn't recall when. But she recalls the way the Duchess looked at her with pity, she loathes being pitied ; she used to. Canaria now understands that the pain she's been harboring all this time, was of her own desire.

She carried the burden of her wish, her dream to becoming a respected herbalist like Alex. Yet, other feelings started kicking in, they starting bursting colors all around her, colors she wished to unsee at times. Because with Alex gone, they became daily nightmares.

Blaming herself every chance she gets, it was normal, too normal at some point it started to swallow her up, her fear and guilt started constructing a wall which would only collapse on her. If Canaria never saw Alex, if only they didn't meet in the first place, Alex would be breathing. 

If only she didn't see him in her garden...

*Why was Alex in my garden? Father....?*

'Don't blame yourself.'

"But Duchess...I'm somehow glad...I m-met him..."

*Of course you are.*

People come and go in life. It is not easy to let go of the past, nor letting go of someone. It was never easy to stop blaming another, or yourself. She never sought for revenge, but she can't lie to herself. She can't change her past. So now, she wishes to change herself for the future.