Chapter 15

Augustus gloomily sat down at his desk trying to figure out Estelle's enemy for this case.But little did he know his enemy was not hers.Baffled,he shoved his pitch-black hair back.He expected her to arrive her swiftly as soon as she woke up,but maybe she hasn't?He sighed as he stood up and headed towards the door.Just when his stiff hand reached for the knob,it opened,revealing a blonde woman with a dress completely that was not made for her.Or at least,he thought it that way.

"I was expecting you,come sit." He promptly guided her to the sofa where they sat on opposites.Again,with documents on top of the expensive table carved with lavish figures.

"Before we discuss this matter,I would like to question what you did to the poor two."Estelle lowered her head.

*"Poor two"? Is she joking around? She who have been betrayed by someone trustworthy,yet has the audacity to pity those scumbags.Really...you're full of surprises.*  

"Typical questioning,if you wish to release them,I'm afraid I can't answer to that." He beckoned as his tone grew deeper.

"Of course not,Your Grace.It was just a mere question."

"Good.Now we proceed." Augustus removed the top pile of documents and began his search.He pulled out a brown,old file stuffed with torn-edge papers,the smell of ink,dust and rust filled the area. Estelle let out a mild cough while Augustus,paying the slightest attention,continued to search through the file and handed it to her.

"For now these are our leads that Shadow Claw might be working for.Ring any bells?" It was unbelievable,each and every social activities she carried out were recorded in this sheet,every single event,even the one time where she passed an ephemeral entrance in the Cards' mansion.But what caught her off-guard most was the name he just mentioned.

"Wait,Your Grace,did you just say "Shadow Claw"?! It can't be! They are-"

"Estelle.What I asked you was to look through the files to give us useful information,not used information." Word by word,she could tell his patience was fading away.She silently nodded and carried on looking.Many names she didn't even tried to remember surfaced on the coffee-brown sheet.But one name,seized her full attention,lassoing her coming-of-age ceremony before her eyes.She fiercely blinked.

*No,no no.It can't be him.Just no...it's been years...as if! This bastard been's sticking up his nose too much...if I tell the Duke,he might even been executed without trial,but with his relatives for sure....Damn it!*

"Any leads?Judging the look on your face it seems you have,a person on the left corner."He smirked as he was about to take the paper and examine it,Estelle rapidly snatched it and rashly spoke.

"N-n-no,Your Grace,it was just someone I had memories with,I believe he has nothing to do with the incident." Obvious lies were what he hated the most,and she foolishly pushed it.He got up,shutting the distance between them.

"'He'? Ha! Estelle,your "beliefs" and petty opinions has no affect on the truth do they? Moreover..."his strong hand was now near her hair,trapping the lady between the chair and his insanely intense figure.

"Y-y-your Gr-grace.." She tried to cover her face and shut her eyes with the paper as her face  slowly showed signs of unknown expressions,she felt her chest burning up with embarrassment.Desperately trying to stop her racing heart,his hand clutched the paper.She tardily opened her eyes to see the Duke scanning the paper,not budging the slightest. 

She observed him.His jawline facing her,tracing to his lips,reading the names silently.She looked at his eyes,they glowed like precious rubies.Small strands of his dark hair fell forward as he tried to leaned to the paper,his hand,however,was still near her face.She could hear their breaths syncing as she tried to break free from the harmony.Then,she witnessed his lips curled into a sly smirk.But his eyes nestled into a readable frown. 

*Wha-What is this!?! Should he not at least return to his seat?! What are these....in my chest....it feels...*

"Felix Zeak." He uttered.She flinched.

"Bingo." He pushed his hand,letting his body accelerate upwards as he returned to his seat.

"I'm not interested in your personal affairs with him,but anyone who stands in my way,get cuts down naturally." Estelle gritted her teeth,she was pissed at how he said the word "naturally" as in his enemies are nothing but nature's rotten roots.

"Let's see...he attended your coming-of-age ceremony and took an interest in you.Ohh right."Augustus slightly chuckled.

"There were rumors swarming around back then of how a Baron's son was egoistic enough to chase a Marquess's daughter." Estelle faced forward and protested.

"Felix and I...We have no relationship of sorts.Rumors are in the end,just rumors,Your Grace.As you testified,you said you had no interest in my personal affairs,therefore,I would prefer it if you would not dig more into my coming-of-age ceremony." This time,he was pissed.

*Did she just called him,a Baron,by his name?While here,I'm her fiance and she calls me "Your Grace" this "Your Grace" that!But it was also thanks to some "rumors" I found you...Fuck,I'm really pissed.*Augustus wanted to complain,but,of course,his own pride stopped him.

"But do explain me why he managed to capture your attention.Out of all these people in the list,your eyes seem to tell me he's rather special." Augustus rested his chin in his hands,gazing at her locks.

<JUST SAY YOU'RE JEALOUS! BAKA- >

*Screw it...screw this all.*

"I-i....I think..."

"Hm?"The Duke raised a brow.

"I-i..think he might give us more useful leads!Felix is the type to rationally think-" She was interrupted by Augustus who fleetly stood up and drew something from his desk.

"I think it's a better choice not to call his name from this point on.And here..."he handed Estelle a crystal bottle of red liquid.No words stating that it was an option.It was an order.

"This would help better with your fatigue and the Dartius in your body.Don't ask me how I know.I know a lot of things.Drink it daily after every dinner,and I mean it."He demanded as he folded his arms and leaned his back to the desk,crossing his legs.Who he faced was a woman with thankful yet uncomfortable eyes.

Estelle was fazed,she felt grateful,yet it was unsettling that the Duke knew of her condition.Dartius,a virile "potion" she was fed daily in order to become immune to poison,however,she was backfired with faint fatigues which would occur occasionally whenever they please.She too got up and bowed.Her golden locks swaying down like vines across her red-wine dress,befitting his eyes.He couldn't get enough of it,he wanted his hand intertwined in her hair,imagining it made him grin.

"Thank you for your kindness,Your Grace."Earnestly smiling from the bottom of her heart,Augustus eyes grew softer looking at her.As she turned to the door,he yearned for his hand to reach the distant blonde,but he suppressed it with a bittersweet smile,looking down.Even though he was staring deep into his empty palm his mind was filled elsewhere.What would have happened if he did attended her coming-of-age ceremony instead of preparing for an expedition that dawn.He now,deeply,wonders why... 

*Estelle...what have you done to me?*