Chapter 18

Leo was walking to the Duke's study with a grin which the maids and servants did not like.A cat's sly smile.He knocked upon the door and when Augustus ushered the word "Come in.",he broadly did.

"Oh Leo." the Duke looked up with confusion,the butler remembered what he was meant to say.

"Yes,My Lord I have reported your request to the Lady.However,in return,she suggested that she would like to talk about an important matter after tonight's dinner."

"I see..." Augustus was still in his trance,lost times surfaced just by gazing at the palm of his hand,he remembered his mother's warmth,her straight black hair,unlike Estelle's,yet,it was soft and silky.Her voice soothing him whenever he'd mess up a lesson.But now,he's forgotten a person's warmth.He forgot what she sounded like.Was it angelic?Was it really soothing?Or was it all an act?

*Wait..an important matter?After dinner?! Just wha...*

"My Lord!" he snapped the Duke out of his thoughts.Quickly facing Leo he made a face which read "What now?"

"Ha..."Leo sighed then he continued.

"The Lady is headed somewhere."The Duke could care any less of her personal affairs.That is,if he could.

"Without my notice? How bold of her.State the estate Leo." Augustus gestured at his butler who was to summon a carriage,but before Leo did he truthfully answered.

*Out of all places she's going back to that house?! All I can do is hope that I make it in time.For real what the heck is she thinking? If she went there out of no specific reasons,I'll make sure to tighten her schedule more...wait....does she even has a schedule? No,moreover,why am I fretting? Blast this!*

"When we return explain her that she is to take care of the estate's budget.Maybe that'll keep her busy from going out."Augustus put on his coat and rushed to the main door. His thoughts ate him away on the short journey.Since when was the icy duke agitated by a woman? 

He reached the main door of the Cards,as he was push it open,it unlocked.A small,frail body collided with his,this,made him irritated.What's more,the figure was none other than who he was looking for.This,made him frustrated.

*Shit.How did he get here?! Leo I thought you knew how to seal your lips!*

"Why greetings Duke Zade.What business do you have with our humble household?" The Marquess greeted.

*'Humble' my ass.I forgot that she received a mask from his training.I also forgot that the bastard targeting Estelle is also in trade with you.*

Augustus grabbed Estelle's arm and pulled her to his chest.He then wrapped his left hand over her hair.It was soft,smooth and silky.Just as he imagined it would be.He gently slid across from her top of her head to the strands that were falling down to her waist.The small,wavy strands that were entangled in his large,rough hands.Augustus bent down a little while his hand lifted,then he smelt her golden hair.

"I have no business with your household.I am simply here to escort my wife back.I was completely worried because she was running late." He made a warm smile,making the Cards flinch in awe.

"Then escort her back safely,brother-in-law.When I heard the rumors I thought 'No way that Estelle would have captured your eye!' But I guess they were true!"Elios exclaimed as he descended the stairs.

"Are you implying that she was not worth it,Sir Elios?"His makeshift smile turned to a real,yet,cold smile.

"Of course not!I am simply complimenting her work.You have yet to witness what my dear sister is capable of."Elios yield out his right hand with a proud simper.She let out a small giggle.Too small for the others to hear but just perfect for the Duke to listen.

Augustus let go of her arm and held her hand. He gave out his "business smile",giving them his back.Estelle took notice of his broad shoulders,his large hands gripped hers tight.She couldn't let her family think otherwise,so she grabbed back.But a part of her wished she did it not out of caution,but out of curiosity.She glanced at Mia who was in a pinch just as much as she was.

"Well then,we shall be taking our leave." He departed from the household,while Elios was waving with a bright smile.A smile ready to take on consequences.

"Since when did you and her got along.However,I won't deny that it was a good act."

"Like you said mother,it was just a mere act." Elios spoke as he lowered his hand down.

*To your eyes that is.*

Mia kept looking at the ground of the garden,for she was to afraid to face their backs.She was simply ordered to sit with the coachman,she dare not refuse.But she would try to take glances at the carriage,hoping her master was not in trouble and how the Duke "magically" arrived with a darted face. Unfortunately,she could hear a single word.

"Explain." He demanded while he crossed his legs and wrapped his hands.The sensation of her hair remained,but he hid it well.

"I was just having a word with my brother,Your Grace."The word 'Your Grace' made Augustus raised a brow.

"The household that tormented you,the household that took away your ability to be healthy and the household that robbed you from a happy childhood. Ha! So you're implying that you were having a nice conversation with the person who did nothing but stood there while you were drowning in grief? Make a better excuse." As he shot the bullet he didn't even dare look at her.

"Elios...was doing this for me.It matters not why he did it,but what matters is that his hard work is paying off.I cannot resent him,Your Grace.He is my brother after all." Estelle surrendered a smile of guilt.

"Half brother.And you can resent him,you just can't come to it." Still looking outside,he threw harsh words at her.

"What I've been through,what my personal affairs are and what I'm going to do does not affect you or the contract Your Grace." She's had enough of his attitude.

"....Leo told me you wanted to have a discussion after dinner.What might it be?" Estelle felt anger,frustration and embarrassment.Not only were she reminding him that of why she's here in the first place,but also why he's here in the first place.He still had the audacity to change the subject.

"We can save that after dinner,Your Grace." She gave a stone-cold reply as she too faced out the window.On the way back home,their eyes,never met.