Ch. 9

Novia sat on the floor of her cell and picked at the scrapes on her plate, feeling uneasy with the mission only being one day away.

She always got cold feet on the nights before missions. The thought of having some of her comrades never return made Novia shake like a leaf, it happened more than it didn't.

Novia sighed as she rested the back of her head against the concrete of the wall, her hands in her lap and eyes closed trying to put these heavy thoughts aside.

She heard Eren's steady breathing next door and wondered if he was awake. It was pretty late so probably not.

"Novia," Eren barely whispered. Novia jumped a little opening her eyes, it was as if Eren had read her mind in that exact moment.

Novia ignored Eren's beckoning, hoping he would assume she was asleep. She was still hurt by the way he treated her the night he brought her into his room.

One minute he acted as if he cared about her and the next he was ushering her to get out. Then to top it all off, he spilled to Levi everything he knew.

"Novia....I know your awake." Eren whispered again. He was trying not to be too loud because the mission had not started yet, so technically they still weren't allowed to interact with each other.

"Shut up, you'll get us in trouble." Novia whispered back, rolling her eyes. The last thing she wanted was to get into trouble once again. At this rate, they'll run out of punishments for her to do.

"Look....I just wanted to apologize okay. I shouldn't have blackmailed you to come to my room or tell you to leave like that....." This surprised Novia, it was the last thing she expected him to say.

However, that wasn't the main thing on her mind.

"Why did you tell the captain you knew everything?" Novia interjected, disregarding his apology....she couldn't tell if he was being genuine or not especially considering brick walls separated them so she couldn't see the expression on his face.

"Huh...... so he mentioned that to you..." Eren didn't think about the repercussions Novia would face for telling him that, this made him feel worse.

"Yeah...he did." Novia said disappointedly, the captain's words flashing in her mind.

"another time, perhaps when your least expecting it, we can discuss how else you can make it up.."

"I'm sorry about that too Novia, it slipped up okay.... I swear."

"It's whatever Eren, It was my fault for telling you in the first place."

These words struck a nerve of hurt in Eren. He didn't want her to feel like she couldn't trust him.....when it came to thinking about Novia and the Captain he just couldn't think straight about anything.

All that radiated throughout him was jealousy.

"Don't blame yourself...I basically forced you."

Novia was confused at Eren's signals. One minute he was blaming her for pretty much everything and the next he was apologizing....was this an act?

If it was, what was he looking to gain? Surely not her trust again.....

There was another part of Novia that wanted to believe he was just trying to make amends, a sign of this being he was putting down his ego for once.

Novia carried a lot of pride with her too, obviously not as much as Eren....but she thought maybe she should put her ego aside and apologize as well. She had her flaws too...