Ch. 32

I'm alive everyone! I needed a break to get over this rut. Trying to write while feeling like this sort of heartbreak is not easy.. but I haven't abandoned you!

I hope you enjoy the chapter!

.........

"I like your new haircut," Armin smiled from across the table, sipping his soup casually. Novia gave a nervous grin back unsure of how people would react to her cutting her hair. So far it was going unnoticed by most of them. Although, now that Armin initiated his opinion, everyone else started to become aware of it too.

"Thanks....right now I'm feeling a little iffy about it." She nervously laughed. It was the truth. Last night what she did was definitely off of an impulse. Something about Floch's comment rattled her to the core....She cut her hair to where it rested at her collarbone and added bangs to change things up. Maybe a small part of her wanted Floch to find her unattractive so he'd leave her alone for good or just somewhat unrecognizable. At least, that's how she planned out the potential scenario in her head.

"Don't be.....the bangs are a nice touch, but I mean you look cute with short or long hair." Mikasa complimented, reassuring her kindly. Novia blushed at Mikasa's innocent praise....the use of the word 'cute' specifically alluring her.

Jean took this chance to also chime in on Mikasa's compliment. "Yeah Mikasa's right, no matter what hairstyle you have goin' on, it suits you nicely." Jean froze as soon as those words came out of his mouth. They sounded more heartfelt then he anticipated. A light blush appeared on his cheeks and Novia chuckled, knowing exactly how he felt. "Thank you guys, seriously.....I appreciate it." Everyone nodded in affirmation like it was no big deal.

Novia glanced over her shoulder to see Eren coming down the hall towards her. She smiled at him to show her acknowledgement, happy he was directing his way to her. Ironically, a cold stare permanently spread across his appearance ...She could sense something was wrong, so she got up from her seat.

"Hey, Eren....you okay? You seem a little on edge today?"

He gave intense eye contact, staring at her as if he was guilty of something, a longing gleam was showing through his beautiful green eyes. "Listen....we need to talk. Privately." He sternly demanded. This extended Novia anxiousness and she gazed down at her feet in habit. She could already tell by the careful usage of his words...this was a delicate circumstance.

"Please don't let this be what I think it is..." she mumbled lowly. No...not this. It couldn't be. The familiar feeling again. Of loneliness. Of abandonment spreading throughout her body. She didn't want anymore sleepless nights of her questioning all the things she could've done different if she had another chance. A flashback of Levi lingered within her...

"....C'mon Novia." He sighed taking her arm and going back down the hall. This was painful for him...truly. He didn't want to hurt Novia like this. He was fully aware that the captain pulled this stunt once before and by repeating his actions, it would break Novia entirely, especially because of how hard he had worked to earn her trust, to prove he wasn't like the captain in the slightest, yet here he was....duplicating his mistake.

Eren spent all night weighing out his options. He came to the conclusion that the hurt she would feel from this would only be temporary, whereas Floch's consistent harassment would leave deep scars of torment for her he couldn't bear to witness. He did enough damage, so Eren knew he had to protect her, even if it ended with her hating him.

As they entered a private empty room, Novia yanked out of Eren's grip, disgusted by him already and he haven't even spoken a word yet, his body language said it all. "Please tell me this is a joke. That you needed to speak with me because I didn't come to your room last night and that you're not actually mad." She optimistically hoped.