Part Thirty-Nine

A/N: So. I have decided, I'm more of a monster than Mari for putting you winderful people THROUGH ALL THESE FEELZ

I'M SORRY

...

((Okay.. Not really.))

*^*

Mari moved away from Kidd and sat at the edge of the bed, trying to get a hold of herself.

"Mari?" Kidd asked, his voice ragged.

Mari hunched her shoulders and held her arms. She felt something hot in her stomach, something terrible. Pain came with it and her fingers dig into her skin when she closed her eyes, the pain enveloping her mind too.

"Mari." Kidd said, hos voice gentle. He pulled her back and held her.

She turned and pressed herself into his chest. "Don't go Kidd. Please." His strong arms were around her and she felt safe.

"Mari... you should sleep." Kidd said, but Mari's eyes were already closed. The pain in her had faded a little when Kidd held her. She nodded a little, falling asleep.

Mari woke up, alone. Her body ached and she suddenly looked around, panicking when she didn't see Kidd. She stood, the weight of holding Bella gone. She flung open the door and ran downstairs.

"Kidd?" She called. "Where are you? Where's Bella!" she said. She heard soft talking and ran into the kitchen. She stopped as she saw Maka holding a sleeping Bella standing next to Soul who had joined Bella in sleep. She was talking to Kidd, a mix of emotions on her face that Mari couldn't read. She stood right outside the door so they wouldn't notice her. They must've not heard her before. She slowed her breathing as she listened.

"What are we going to do?" Kidd asked Maka.

She heard Maka sigh. "I just don't know."

Mari listened as Kidd took a few steps and then stopped. There was a clink of a cup and the sink turning on. "I felt it in her, Maka." Mari got chills down her back as she realized that they were talking about her. "She..." Kidd said, stopping what ever he was doing for a moment. "She won't be able... to last much longer. But... I don't know how much longer..." He said, his voice filled with anxiety. "A year... five... a day? She could start killing-"

"Stop." Maka said, her voice sounding like she was going to start crying. "Don't do this to yourself, Kidd."

Mari's throat closed and she turned, running to the door. She flung it open as she heard Kidd call her name. She slammed it shut and started running. She noticed that it had begun to snow last night, and there were soft blankets of white everywhere. She looked ahead, remembering that winter was almost here, so why wouldn't there be snow? But it's Arizona...?

Mari shook her head and ran faster, her feet getting numb from the cold. She was at the edge of Death City and burst through the wall. She kept running until her legs were wobbling. She fell over and breathed. She didn't know why she ran.

She gasped for air as her body became cold in the white snow. She closed her eyes and starting think about what Free and Erica had said. 'Our new master sent us.' Who was it though? A witch, probably, but who? The three Gorgon sisters were dead. Mari had killed Medusa, and the youngest, one that had been seen for a while, and Arachne, who had been killed by the... unless...

Mari's eyes widened as she remembered the stories of the fight with the Keshin Ashura. He had fought Death, then gone back to Arachn's castle and killed her. But Maka had said when Ashura had died, millions of souls had been flung outward and disappeared. If someone had found Arachne's soul, then...