Part Eight

Mari opened her eyes, no, wait… her… eye? She sat up, feeling numb. She lifted her right arm and felt her face. There were bandages covering her left eye. She felt a tingle in her left arm and looked down at it. Her entire shoulder was purple and red with bruises and red lines crept down her bicep. She looked around her. She was in the schools infirmary again?

                  Then she remembered the witch Medusa, and her arm, and her eye, and the needle, and telling Kidd how she felt through her pain. She remembered Stein sewing her arm back to her body, and all the blood.

                  She lifted her left arm and all the drugs that were numbing her pain, dissipated, and all of it returned at once. She screamed.

                  She started sobbing as the pain washed over her mind, her chest her arm, turning her vision bright red. She started seeing hallucinations dance across the walls. The door banged open and people with rabbits heads walked in, carrying giants syringes and scalpels.

                  She started rocking as they gathered around her, pulling her knees up to her chest with her good arm. The hallucination’s giant ears blocked out the light. She stopped breathing as the largest rabbit, one with stitches all over it, reached down with a bug blue injection.

                  A hand slapped her face and all the hallucinations disappeared. “Mari. You have to breath if you wan to live.” It was Stein, not a rabbit. Mari’s eye shook as she looked around at all the other teachers. Other than Stein, there was Nygus, Miss Marie, and Spirit. They all looked down at her with concern as she didn’t breath.

                  The pain was still washing over her like an endless hell. She took in a breath, then another, and one more. She closed her eye as her head pounded. “What happened?” Miss Marie asked.

                  Stein clicked his screw. “Kidd and her went on a mission… not as partners, but instead of a simple soul eating bastard, they encountered a witch.”

                  “Who?” Nygus asked.

                  “Medusa.” Stein said.

                  Spirit slammed his fist into a wall. “She just wont die, will she?”

                  “Well,” Stein said, truing to Mari. “We can just sedate her. She just needs rest.”

                  “What about these lines?” Nygus said, gently running a hand over Mari’s arm. Mari clenched her teeth as more pain washed over her. An animal noise escaped her lips and Nygus drew away.

                  “Stein!” Miss Marie said right before Mari blacked out.

                  Mari opened her eyes to see she wasn’t in the DWMA anymore. She was at Kidd, Liz and Patty’s house. She felt around her face until she found her left eye. She pocked it and winced as she felt a little jolt of pain. “Marie used her healing wavelength to grow you a new eye. Drained her though.” Someone said. She rolled over and discovered that her arm didn’t hurt anymore. “And she fixed that too.” Mari looked over to the side to see a blurry figure sitting in a chair by the window.

                  Mari sat up. “I’m sorry… I can see well… who is it?”

                  The person stood and sat next to her on her bed. “It’s Kidd.” She flinched as he put a hand on her back. “Are you okay?” he asked. “Dimmit. If I had just been faster…”

                  Mari reached out a hand and he took it. “It’s okay.” She said, her voice rough. “How long was I asleep since Medusa…” She didn’t finish but Kidd got what she was saying.

                  “Only three days.” he said.

                  She nodded and closed her eyes. She couldn’t see well at the moment anyway. She laid down. “I think I’ll just go back to sleep.” She heard him stand and take a few steps toward the door. “Kidd…” She whispered.

                  “Yeah.” He said.

                  “Will you just… hold me till I fall asleep?” she asked.

                  He walked over and laid down next to her. He wrapped one arm under her and used the other to pull her closer. “I’m sorry.” He whispered into her hair.

                  She smiled. “What’s a little more pain?” she said.

                  “Sorry.” He said, shaking a little.