Part Fifty-Two

A/N: I FEEL LIKE SUCH A TERRIBLE PERSON FOR DOING THIS TO MY CHILD! I'M SO SORRY! I LUV YOU GUYS SO MUCH!

Mari laid in Kidd's bed, her body enveloped in sheets and blankets. She was alone, save for the man's voice in her head; and he wouldn't stop talking. She felt her eyes fill with tears and she pressed her hands to her ears.

"Just get out of my head!" she whispered.

There was laughter and the voice was silent for a minute. She was shaking, but she hadn't realized it. She gasped for breath and held her shoulders. Alone. Alone.

Alone.

She sat up, pulling the blankets off of her body, standing.

'Oh, where are you going?' the man asked, his voice loud in her ears.

"Shut up." She said, walking out of the room. But her voice held no power and the man just kept going on. She just tried to block it all out.

She stepped outside a moment later, feeling the chill night air on her skin. She sat down on the front steps of the house and looked up at the sky, small bumps forming on her skin in the cold.

She spun her wedding ring on her finger, thinking about everything al once, her mind spinning with thoughts. Everything was wrong in her life, but one thing: Kidd.

She held her face in her hands. "If only I could be happy." She said, her hands quivering.

'Just because I'm here, doesn't mean that you can't be happy.' The voice said. 'I can also be helpful.' He said.

She sighed. 'How could you be helpful?' she thought. 'All you want to do is plunge the world into madness.' She said.

He was silent for a moment. 'Yes, well, that's a personal hobby.' He said. 'But I can help you.' He said.

She shuffled a little, her mind trying to think of one thing that he could help her with. 'Yeah? Well, what can you help me with?' she asked, sighing and making her breath puff out into the cold.

'Your child, for instants.' He said, and Mari went rigid. 'She isn't dead.' He said. 'And, oh yes. It was going to be a girl.' He said.

'How?' she thought. 'Arachne... she took...'

'Just because my past lover took your child's soul doesn't mean that she is dead.' He said. 'For instants, if you let me have a little control, and we found Arachne-'

'No.' Mari said. 'I won't let you take control of my body.'

The man sighed. 'I am just an essence of what I used to be. There is no way for me to completely take control.' He paused. 'But... enough control to speak with Arachne... maybe in my old voice, I could convince her to give you back your child.' He said.

Mari stood. "Fine." She said, not realizing she had said it aloud. She ran down the steps toward the DWMA, going to tell Kidd.

'I don't think that your lover will like this though.' He said. 'His beloved "taken over" by me. That is his greatest fear.'

Mari stopped. 'What?' she thought.

'Ah, maybe it slipped your mind when you were... "Asleep".' He said. 'But, if you are to go insane-and I wish to see you like this-he is the one that will have to kill you.' He said.

'I know.' She thought. His worst fear was loosing her, but even more, having to take her from himself with his own hands.