Part Twelve

Mari: THANK YOU FOR THE READS! {Starts balling}

Joey: Really?

Mari felt a wet cloth on her forehead and the soft sound of someone humming a lullaby with clinking metal. Mari opened her eyes only to see the cloth on her face covered her eyes too. She took in a breath and listened as the person sang a line of the song she was humming.

“I’m falling, down into my shadow…” She hummed more and the metal continued to clink.

“Hel… hello?” Mari asked in a whisper.

“Oh,” a woman said. “You’re up.”

Mari sat up and pulled the cloth from her eyes to be met by white, then red, then her vision was normal. She looked around to see she was in a darkish room room that could pass for a lab. “Who…” She asked.

Medusa’s face smiled as Mari’s eyes landed on her. “Hello.” Medusa said as Mari’s face twisted with horror. “You should smile, Mari. When you were sleeping you were. You looked so peaceful.”

Mari backed away from Medusa. “You…” she said.

Medusa walked over with a tray of different tools on it. “So, Mari. I have decided to use you as a test subject! Okay?”

Mari tried to run, only to discover she was held by white wrist restraints to the bed… no. Operation table. She started pulling at the restraints. “No!” She said.

Medusa waved a finger in the air and the restraints slowly pulled Mari down to the table. “Now, now, child. No struggling.”

Mari pulled at the chains. “Please… Stop! No!” Medusa began to peruse her selection of blades and saws.

She selected a needle of all things. “Now. Todays experiment will be how much the human mind can take before it snaps.” She examined the syringe point. “Now, shall we take a blood sample?”

“No!” Mari screamed as the needle touched her skin.

“Oh,” Medusa said. “I have more experiments in mind that have to do with needles.” She rummaged under the table Mari was on. She pulled out a tray of a hundred different kinds of needles.

“No…” Mari whispered. “Not… this…” tears started running down her cheeks. “Please…” he lips wobbled.

“Let’s begin the fun!” Medusa said, madness thick in her voice. She drove the first needle into Mari’s stomach, blood filling the syringe. Mari screamed and kicked the table with her feet and pounded it with her fists. Medusa pulled out the needle. “Now let’s see,” She set the needle down and picked up a tiny one. She pulled a small bottle from her lab coat. She started filling the needle and through the pain Mari read the bottle. Sulfuric Acid it said in bold. Do NOT inject into a human and don’t get in eyes.

Medusa held up the full syringe. “Okay.” She squeezed the plunger a little and a drop landed on Mari’s skin. It burned like fire and she gasped.

Medusa put on a small surgical mask and got close to Mari’s wrist. She held it still with one hand and stuck the needle in her skin. Mari started crying harder. “Stop!” She pleaded. Medusa injected a little and Mari screamed. Her voice cracked until it was reduced to sobbing.

“That was only half Mari!” Medusa pressed the plunger all the way down and withdrew the needle.

Mari started writing on the table as the skin on her right arm started bubbling and blistering. Medusa walked over with another syringe full of blue liquid. “Tell you what Mari. I’ll heal your other arm.” She injected the blue liquid into Mari and she gasped for air as her arm turned back to it’s original color, the black veins disappearing. “But it’s just so I can make more experiments on it.” She said.

The next few hours were torcher, Mari’s mind finally snapping after needle experiment after needle experiment. Medusa never tired, only laughing harder with each syringe picked up and every plunger pushed. Mari started seeing hallucinations. Her friends walking around, ignoring her pain. Stein helping Medusa. All of them dyeing. 

Then, finally, Medusa left.

Mari gasped on the table, tears running from her eyes down her cheeks, hot pain tight in her chest and running all over her body. The door opened and the woman, Erica, from earlier came in and started picking up with five small mice girls who squeaked at each other to communicate. Erica changed Mari’s clothing to a hospital gown and started washing her arms and face, pulling up her long hair into a ponytail. She left a moment later with the mice girls after giving her a small amount of food.

She started at the sealing until the pain was too much for her mind and she passed out.

Kidd, Liz, Patty, Soul, Maka, Black Star, Tsubaki, Stein, Ms. Marie and Amme stood in front of Lord Death. “We’re going after her.” Maka said.

Stein blew out a puff of smoke. “We had Azusa hone in on her location. We’re leaving now.”

“Okay!” Lord Death Said and the ten meisters and weapon walked out of the Death Room.

As they were walking down the long set of stairs from the DWMA, Black Star coughed lightly. “Where are we going again?”

Soul sighed. “Phoenix, dude.”  

“How are gonna get there?” Asked Liz.

“I’ll be driving.” Said Ms. Marie. “We’ll be using a van.”

“How are all going to fit?” Asked Kidd.

“All weapons will be in weapon form and the rest of us will squash in.” Stein said.

“But what about you, Ms. Marie? Your driving but wouldn’t it make more sense for Stein to drive and you to be in weapon form?” Soul aksed.

Ms. Marie patted her belly. “I’m not transforming unless absolutely necessary. Don’t want to hurt little one.”

“Oh.” Soul said.

They all got in the van and started driving to Phoenix. They were quiet the entire time, some of them falling asleep.

When they got there, they went to the city hall to ask about possible labs in the area. “Yes!” One woman said. “There is one in the middle of the city, a really big one called… uhh… Ah! Yes! Serpent Laboratories.”

The ten people looked at each other. “Thank you!” Patty said, handing the woman a perfect origami pig.

They all walked out to the car and piled back in, not bothering to transform. They drove for ten minutes and then they found the big building. Instantly, Black Star found his way onto the roof and started yelling his name. Stein got him down and they started searching for Mari.