Part Six

Me: Why are we getting up so early?

Joey: I was going to ask the same question.

“Hey Kidd~” Mari said in a sweet tone. “Amme is sick today!”

                  Kidd looked up at the girl. “You say that like it’s a good thing.” He said.

                  “No!” She said waving her hands in the air. “I was just wondering if you uhm…” She swung her arms back and forth. “You wanna go on a mission together?” she tried to look cool by leaning one hand on his desk, but fell over instead. Kidd started laughing as Mari stood. “You know…” She said, continuing. “We could just fight solo. Like me with just my hand transformed and you with your… uh, reaper ways.”

                  He stood. “Sure.” He followed her out to the mission board. They chose one that looked a little harder than their last one. They walked out of the academy after telling a teacher and Liz and Patty who said they were going to go home anyway so they didn’t really care.

                  The town where the so called “Slithering Woman” rampaged, was near so they just took Kidds magical skateboard. They both sat on it and it seemed to know where it was going as it blasted into the air and shot away. They chatted till they reached the town.

                  They started walking through the small town looking for the creature that was eating peoples souls. “Hey Kidd,” Mari asked. “Can’t you see souls? And tell what kind of soul they have like Stein?”

                  Kidd nodded. “Yeah. Though, I sort of see souls all the time. I can make so I don’t see them, so I usually make it so I cant see them.”

                  Mari grinned. “That’s really cool.”

                  They walked up to a house and knocked on the door. A woman answered. “Hello!” Mari said cheerfully. “Could we ask you a few questions?”

                  The woman nodded and leaned against the door frame.  “We wanted to ask you about the Slithering Woman?” Kidd asked.

                  The woman’s eyes widened and she pointed at the sky. “Its getting dark… She’s coming!” She slammed the door shut in their faces.

                  “Well,” Mari said. Then she looked around. “Kidd… It’s actually getting dark.”

                  “But it’s only three in the afternoon…” he said back. He looked around with Mari to see that clouds had covered the sun so the light was being blocked out. Then, it started raining.

                  They stepped into the street and saw a woman dressed in loose black baggy pants and a black shirt with a hood. She had the hood on and she was barefoot. Her hair came down in front of her clothes and was twisted in a sort of braid. She smiled, but Mari couldn’t see her eyes.

                  Suddenly, Mari felt a current run through her body. “Kidd?” She asked.

                  He gritted his teeth. “It’s a witch.” The woman pulled off her hood and Mari saw a pretty but evil face. Kidd pointed at her. “Maka killed you!”

                  Mari looked form the witch to Kidd. “Who? What?”

                  Kidd clenched his fists. “Medusa.”

                  Mari’s eyes widened. She had heard about Medusa ever since she had gotten to the academy, especially from Maka, mostly in hateful words.

                  Medusa smiled and began to speak. “Hello Death the Kidd. How have you been?”

                  Kidd looked at Mari. “Get ready.”  

                  Mari nodded and her arm turned into a giant blade. Medusa started laughing. “That’s all? Okay. We’ll make this quick.” She pointed her hands at the two and shouted, “Vector arrow!”

                  Dark arrows started shooting towards Kidd and Mari. They dodged them and Medusa smiled. “Okay. I won’t go easy on you two.” She pointed both her hands at Mari and a million tiny arrows shot at her faster than she could blink. She was riveted to the spot as she watched the arrows come at her. She tried to jump to the side but she was to late.

                  Most of the arrows tore her arm from her body, but some stabbed into her face, tearing out one eyes. The left side of her body was a bloody mess. The arrows in her face pulled back and the others ripped her arm completely off, tossing it to the side.

                  “Mari!” Kidd yelled as she swayed. Medusa walked up to her lifted her chin so she could look into her eyes.

                  “You didn’t even scream.” Medusa whispered. “Congratulations.” Mari’s lip started trembling as the pain started ripping through her chest, burning red hot. Medusa smiled over at Kidd and Back to Mari. She spoke so Kidd would be able to hear her as he started running towards her. “He’ll never love you! He doesn’t!”

                  Medusa was gone, but her words hung in the air. “Mari!” Kidd said again, and Mari flinched. Was it true?