Part two

Autors note: If you haven't noticed already, I can write sad stuff.

Mari cried. Her shoulders were shaking so hard her back began to hurt. She put her fingertips to her cheek, feeling the cut on her face. Her fingers came away pink. She looked up at the living room walls. They were red, red with her dads blood. Mari put a hand to her mouth as her stomach heaved.

She stood and waked shakily to the fridge. She wiped her eyes with her sleeve and balanced herself on the counter as she began shaking again. She picked up the house phone and dialed the number on the slip of paper on the fridge. “Ki-kidd?” She asked.

“Mari?” Someone’s voice on the other shouted over loud music. “This is Kidd… Will you turned off the music for a minute!” The background sound went away and was replaced by the muttering of fifty people.

“Ki-kidd… I don’t think I-I’ll be able t-to come to the p-p-party. I’m really so-sorry.” Mari said into the speaker.

“Are you okay?’’ He asked.

Tears began falling down Mari’s cheeks as a wave of happiness rolled over her. She doubled over, a hand to her mouth. She sobbed silently for a minute. One gasp broke through her fingers and echoed onto the phone.

“Mari? What happened?’’ Kidd asked.

“M-my dad i-is… my d-dad was…” Mari began to rock as she realized her dad was dead. ‘Papa… papa… papa…’ she thought. “This thing… I t-think it had a keshin egg soul… it ki-killed… It killed my… my d-dad… and a-ate his soul.” Kidd was silent for a second. “A-are you still there, K-Kidd?”

“Mari, what’s you address?” He asked after another gap of silence. She rattled off the numbers and road in a shaking voice. “We’ll be there in a few minutes.” He said before the line went dead. She brought it in front of her eyes so she could see the small digital screen. The numbers that indicated the time of the call kept ticking upward. The battery sign in the corner blinked zero and the phone beeped. After three more minutes, the screen went dark.

She sat on the tiles for a minute, watching her world fall around her. She was by herself in the dark. Her dad was dead. Her mom had been dead. All of her relatives hated her. She had no place to go. She took in one rattling breath. “H-hello?” She asked to the darkness. “Is anyone there?” But as always, no one answered.

She fell to her side, letting her hands fall out in front of her. She looked at her fingertips. Little spirals grew larger and larger as they emanated from the center of the pad. Creases broke the soft lines. She just lay there, staring at her hands. Then, the door burst open and a few people walked in.

“Mari… Mari!” A voice whispered. “Mari!” It said, louder this time. She could see the new friends she had made today out of the corner of her eye. ‘Friends? Who would want to be your friend?’ The voice had always been there.

“Go… away.” She whispered to the voice. All the people turned to see her on the ground.

“Mari?” Tsubaki said in a sweet voice. Mari didn’t answer.

“Mari!” Kid said urgently. She could feel him drop to the floor next to her. He lifted her off the ground a little and patted her cheek. “Hey! Hey! Hey!” He said. Mari’s head was in his lap.

She could see him, but her vision was getting a little blurry.

“Mari! Please don’t be dead! Come on! Get up! Please…” He whispered.

Mari turned into Kidd and started crying again. Her shoulders were shaking, her voice cracking as she sobbed. Kidd sat for a second, not sure what to do.