Part Thirteen

Mari: [yelling at Ray] I'M ON A BOAT!!!!

Ray: Uhmm...? O.O

Someone poked Mari’s cheek.  “Mari!” Medusa sang. “Get up! Time for the next set of torchers!”

Mari opened her eyes and remembered where she was. “Oh.” She said.

“Did you like the needles yesterday?” Medusa asked.

Mari stared at the sealing and didn’t respond as her lips parted slightly. Her mouth was dry.

“Good, good. Today I’ll be preforming “surgery” on you.” She said while making air-quotes.

Mari’s back arched and her body shook. She couldn’t speak, couldn’t make any noises. She closed her eyes and let tears fall.

“Weak. Come now, Mari. Crona was stronger than you when he was little.” Medusa went and got her tools.

 Medusa moved Mari’s hospital gown so she could get to her stomach. She cut a long cut from Mari’s sternum to her belly button and started removing random organs. “Oh look, the appendix came out nicely. Don’t worry. I won’t remove any vital organs because then you would die and I wouldn’t have a test subject- one of your livers maybe.”

The only thing that got her through this, was the thought that maybe, just maybe, her friends would find her.

Medusa set down her tools and wiped her hands off. Mari’s flesh was wide open and Medusa examined it. “Yes,” she said, poking at Mari’s lungs. Mari tilted her head back in a silent scream. He chest was heaving, causing blood to pour from her. “Mari, doing that will only kill you.”

Mari heard a door slam open and light flooded in. “Medusa!” Someone cried. Was it… Maka? No. Mari was only having another delusion.

No wait…

People spilled into the room and Medusa sighed and was gone in a swarm of snakes. “Damnit!” Somebody yelled.

Mari could see Stein now. His face was grim as he found a sterile needle and thread. He started making stitches on Mari’s stomach.

“Marie!” He called. “Can you heal her at all?”

Marie closed her eyes for a second, then opened them. “No. I’m still drained from when I healed her before.”

“Damn… Damn!” Stein whispered and continued to make stitches.

The others gathered as Stein finished.

“Mari?” Tsubaki asked quietly.

She didn’t answer.

Stein propped her up and checked her pulse. “I can feel her soul still. Her pulse is fine.” He gestured to Kidd. “Take her while I find some bandages.

Kidd stepped forward and took Mari’s shoulders. “Mari?” He asked. Her eyes stared off into the distance. “Mari?” He asked again.

She blinked. She looked around at them. Her lips moved, cracking and then began to bleed. “…N-not…” She started, then swallowed. “…not…” She tilted her head back as pain washed over her. Her breath rasped.

“Mari?” Stein asked. He stood next to Kidd, holding bandages in his hand. “Don’t push yourself. Don’t talk.”

Her shoulders shook. “…you… n-not a… hal… lucina… tion.” She fell forward onto Kidd shoulder. “Ok…ay.” She started shaking, then crying, then sobbing.

Everyone stood uncomfortably around her as she cried. “We should get her back to the DWMA.” Tsubaki said.

“I can carry her.” Soul offered.

“Wait.” Stein said. They all turned away as Stein wrapped bandages around Mari’s middle and her blistered arms. “Okay.” Stein said.

Soul stepped forward and Mari wrapped her arms around his neck. He lifted her from the bed like she weighed nothing. Her hair had fallen lose and it fell around her face like a curtain. She looked at Soul’s shirt as they walked, wrapping her arms tighter and tighter around his neck.

“Mari… you’re strangling Soul.”  Maka said, trying to loosen her grip so Soul could breath. Her hold only grew tighter.

When they reached the car, Mari, Soul, Kidd, and Black Star all sat in the back. She sat on Soul’s lap, her arms still around his neck, her legs on Kidd, who slowly wrapped and unwrapped bandages around the spots where Medusa had preformed her experiments, and Black Star tried to braid her hair. Everyone in the car kept saying it was going to be alright.

And after Soul said, “We’ll always be here for you Mari.”, she started sobbing.