Part Seven

“So is it wrong to love someone? Is it wrong to never want to give them up? When all the voices are telling you to leave, is it wrong to let go?” Tears started streaming down her face, blood dripping from one cheek. “It’s okay to love someone. It’s okay to feel this feeling. It should be okay to cry when the world is telling you not to.” She put a hand over her mouth as he placed a hand on her shoulder. “And…” She choked out. “Is it okay to love you? Or should I leave and never look back? And… just tell me…”

                  She crumpled to her knees and started sobbing. “It’s okay.” He said in a whisper. “It’s okay. It’ll be okay.” Kidd pulled the crying Mari into his arms and started cradling her as her blood pooled around them. Her arm was gone and one of her eyes was ripped out, leaving an empty hole.

                  Kidd rocked her back and forth. “It’s okay. It’s okay.” He held her to his chest by the back of her head and between her shoulder blades as he started crying. “They’re going to save you Mari…”

                  She glanced over at her missing left arm, and over to where it lay on the ground a few feet away. Kidd’s voice caught a the sight of the empty place where her left eye should have been. She turned so he couldn’t see all the missing parts of her.

                  “How’s that?” She asked, her voice starting to tremble with pain. She opened her mouth to let out a small sound of agony. “K-kidd…?”

                  He stroked her long blue hair. “Mari?” he asked.

                  Her eyes were getting glassy, her skin becoming pale. “I’m scared…” Blood started running down onto Kidd’s clothes from her lips. “I… I don’t want to… to d-die.” She said, her eyes starting to close.

                  He started rocking her head gently again. “You won’t die. Don’t worry… Stein will save you…”

Her eyes closed and her breathing slowed a little. “Kidd?” she asked.

His breath hitched and he started crying too. “Why?” he asked as Mari’s breath thinned to a rasping trickle of air. “Why do I get to be a reaper? Why to have to watch all of them die when I know… I’ll never join them… why? It’s not fair…”

Mari’s eyes were closed all the way. “Life… isn’t fair… Kidd…” She managed through the blood in her mouth. Her chest stopped moving.

Kidd could still feel her soul, but her knew she had lost too much blood. “Mari…” he whispered.

Someone pulled Mari away from him and another pulled him back. He watched as Stein lifted Mari gently from the ground, grabbing her disembodied arm, and began to run. He was gone.

The other person was Spirit, who was now shaking Kidd to get him to respond. “Kidd?” He yelled for the fifth time. “Kidd? Are you hurt?” Kidd shook his head. Spirit pulled him up. “Let’s get you back to your house.” Spirit took his hand as they began to walk.

Kidd remembered when his dad didn’t show up for his eighth birthday and he had started crying, but Spirit had been there. He had taken him home and while they had been walking, Spirit had taken his hand while he kept crying. Spirit had seemed to always been there. His dad had always been busy, so there had been Spirit.

Kidd held his face in his hand as he started crying harder. “She’ll be okay. It’s oaky.”

                  Kidd opened the door to his house and walked in. he stumbled past the dining room where his weapons were eating dinner.