Part Twenty

Mari: I MADE IT TO PART 20 AND IT'S REALLY SHORT!!! SORRY!! BUT THERE'S FLUFF!!!!!

Mari stirred when she heard someone walk into the room. She moved her face deeper into a pillow and groaned. "W-who is it?" She said. The bright light of the hallway disappeared and darkness enveloped her. The person came over and she stiffened as she felt a slight weight next to her on the bed.

She rolled over and saw a dark figure in a faint ray of moonlight. They laid down and pulled the sheets up to their head. "It is my bed, isn't it?" They said without emotion.

It was Kidd and at the sound of his voice, she sat up, feeling no warmth run through her body. "Are you okay?" She asked.

"Why would you care?" He asked, deadpan.

Mari was quiet for a minute as Kidd's breathing slowed and he seemed to fall asleep. She reached out a hand to touch his head, but her fingers fell short as he sighed in his sleep. She pulled away and pulled her knees into her chest. 'I could watch all of you die and I wouldn't care...' Kidd's words echoed in her head as she looked at his sleeping form. "It's just him." She said thinking of the man.

She stood and walked to Kidd's dresser, pulling out a large t-shirt and a pair of his sleeping shorts. She took Soul's jacket and slipped off her own shirt, pulling on Kidd's clothing. She walked to a wall and her eyes had adjusted enough to make out the photos on the walls. She looked at one of all of her friends. They looked happy and everyone was smiling. A shadow crossed over Mari's face. She couldn't feel any happiness. She only felt a crushing sadness like everyone was slipping from her and her fingertips were only inches from then but something was holding her back.

One tears managed to slip from her cheek and she swiped her hand across her face to catch it. Another fell and she caught it too. She crumpled to the floor with her hands over her mouth so she wouldn't wake Kidd up as she stared at the wall with tear running down her cheeks.

"Mari?" A voice asked.

She looked up at Kidd who had silently walked to her. "Kidd?" She asked, drying her face only to have more tears come. "Is that... th-the real you?" She asked.

He rubbed his head and nodded. "I'm better now." He sat in front of her. "You aren't okay, are you?"

Mari shook her head. "I think I'm anything but that."

Kidd looked to the side. "Damn it. I wish there was something I could do to get back at him..."

Mari leaned into his chest. "Make them stop..." She asked, looking up at him with her tear-streaked face. "Make my tears stop..."

Kidd's eyes knit together and put his hands on her cheeks. They were warm and she leaned into them. "I... can try..." he said.

He leaned in and kissed the corners of her mouth, his lips soft and only a whisper on her skin. "I love you." She said quietly and kissed her lips. Their lips fit together like puzzle pieces and she closed her eyes, her tears finally stopping. He pulled away and she smiled shakily.

"You fixed me again, didn't you?" she asked.

A blush tinted his cheeks and he looked to the side. "No..." He paused. "I hate him." He said with a scary intensity in his voice. "After what he did to you... I want him gone."

Mari shivered at the dark tone in his voice. She put her head on his warm chest and breathed. "I love you." She said. She wrapped her arms around his neck and sighed. Her eyes drifted close and Kidd's arm went around her. He gently lifted her and put her back under the sheets and kept holding her close. She turned into him and closed her eyes completely. "I love you." She whispered one last time before falling into sleep.