Chapter 11 - The Purple Azaleas (Part 1)

The sun was barely out when Meng Yu stepped out of her room. A familiar figure was standing in front of her courtyard. Meng Yu's eyes grew cold as she walked towards him without hesitation. In the blink of an eye, her hand cut toward his neck, but it stopped less than an inch away. Hiding beneath her long sleeve was a simple silver hairpin. The sharp tip was caressing the flesh of his neck yet the person in front of her did not even flinch. Under such dangerous circumstances, he did not lose his calm. Instead, he watched her with a pair of tranquil eyes.

"Who are you?" Meng Yu asked icily.

He smiled at her, "I am just a normal physician."

Meng Yu sneered, and purposely pressed the hairpin forward. The sharp tip grazed the surface of his flesh and droplets of blood slowly oozed out from his neck. However, Qing Yao was unperturbed, as his unwavering gaze never left her face.

"Aren't you afraid of dying?"

"I do, but if you really wanted to kill me, then there is nothing that I can do."

Meng Yu's brow lifted slightly, and her eyes gleamed with interest. Previously she had tested him a few times secretly, and knew he had no martial art base. Indeed, if she were to strike, a person like him would have no chance to retaliate. Surprisingly, he can still remain so composed during his life and death moment. It seemed that he had seen through her intention of merely testing him in the first place. What happened today gave her a new light of understanding toward this man. From the first time she saw him, she thought he had a very gentle temperament, but beneath those compassionate countenance was actually hiding a complicated yet intelligent man.

After yesterday's incident with Jin Di and Shui Yang, he should at least have a grasp of her skills and ruthless nature, yet he dared to come and confront her alone. It seemed that he had extremely high confidence of himself. At first, she was wary that he might have figure out her true identity, but after testing him, it did not seem to be the case. If he had known that she was the ruthless Scarlet Emperor, then he would have never confronted her by himself.

After careful consideration, Meng Yu retracted the hairpin. Her eyes were emotionless as she asked in a detached manner, "Let us not play games anymore. What do you want from me?"

Qing Yao frowned disapprovingly upon hearing her question. He did not understand why she kept misunderstanding and putting up walls against him. Yesterday's events were not pleasant indeed, and he was feeling regretful to have involved her in his complicated world, but that did not make him such an untrustworthy person with ill intentions. He exhaled disappointingly, and explained, "I am sorry for what happened yesterday, and indeed, I cannot explain everything to you. Things are a little bit complicated, but it will never happen again. However, what I said before is true. I just wanted to help you and I am not asking anything from you."

Meng Yu carefully studied him as he spoke, but she could not detect any deception from his expression. She would have believed him if she were just an ordinary person, but she who had lived through hell would never believe in such naive words. Nevertheless, after considering her current situation, Meng Yu decided that she should at least pretend to believe him. Even if she could not figure out his real motive, he had indeed saved her life in the first place. Since things had come to this, she decided to make a trade to secure her own safety.

"Fine, I believe you, but I do not like to owe people. In return, I will grant you a wish. As long as it is within my capability, I will fulfill it."

Qing Yao did not even hesitate as he repeated his words, "I do not need anything from you."

"Take it as my token of gratitude. You might not need anything now, but some day, some day in the future, you will definitely want something from me."