Chapter 26 - Children of the Zheng Clan (Part 3)

The window was kicked open forcefully and a shadow jumped in swiftly. Landing on one of his knees, Jin Di unsheathed his blades in one quick movement and pounced toward the person lying on the bed. He swung his swords upward as he approached his target, preparing to deal the fatal blow.

It was either now or never!

To his surprise, the person on the bed suddenly flipped around, and threw the silk blanket at him, obscuring his sight. He snorted at the cheap trick as he drew several slashing movements, cutting the sheets away before following up with a deadly thrust. There was a sharp ringing sound of steel meeting steel as the tip of his sword was blocked by a sturdy iron chain. His eyes widen in shock when he finally registered the opponent standing right before him amidst the fluttering white torn sheets.

Before he could even regain his senses, the person twisted the iron chain around his sword and pulled hard. Losing his balance, he stumbled forward carelessly, and the opponent immediately kicked hard at his exposed chest. The strong impact caused him to crashed unceremoniously onto the wooden shelves lining the wall behind him.

Lying on a pile of broken woods and dust, Jin Di clutched at his chest painfully as he spat out a mouthful of blood. The kick just now must have broken a few ribs of his. Gnashing his teeth, he stared icily at the figure who was approaching him slowly.

"Why are you here? Where is she?" He growled menacingly as he swept his eyes around the bedroom for his intended target.

Instead of answering, his question was met with another attack. He rolled away deftly and parried the iron chain that kept coming at him with his remaining sword. Sharp ringing sound rang nonstop as his blade danced with the iron chain as his opponent kept sending strikes after strikes toward him without any sign of slowing down.

Jin Di was barely keeping up with the incessant attack thanks to the injury to his chest. Breathing heavily, he kept retreating and blocking with his sword. He could feel his hands becoming number with every parry he made. The opponent was overpowering, leaving him struggling pathetically in his injured condition.

At one point, he almost lost his footing, resulting in an opening for his opponent to strike a heavy blow at his stomach. Jin Di felt his whole body flying backward and crashing onto the floor with a loud thud. He could barely get up when he heard a loud familiar cry.

"Brother Jin Di!" Shui Yang shouted in panic. She quickly released Mu Yin, and rushed to his side to hold him protectively in her arms. Jin Di coughed weakly and turned his head slightly to find that he had been kicked out of the room.

"Take him and go... before I kill him," a low and sombre voice spoke. A tall figure appeared at the doorway. He took a step out of the shadow, revealing his chiselled face, and a broad shoulder. Shui Yang shivered involuntarily as she caught glimpse of the familiar tattoo on the man's face. It was a tattoo of a black venomous snake right below his left eyes.

She opened her mouth to speak but no sound came out. The man barely spared her and Jin Di a glance, before turning his attention toward the woman who stood tall and proud in front of him, Zheng Huo Yan. Meeting his eyes, Zheng Huo Yan's expression turned extremely ugly. It was as if the person standing in front of her was nothing more than a disgusting slimy insect. Her beautiful pair of eyes were burning with deep hatred as she whirled around in fury and raised her voice at Zheng Qing Yao.

"What is he doing here? Have you lost your mind, Qing Yao?"

It was as if he had expected her response, Zheng Qing Yao stood rooted to his spot, completely unperturbed by the whole situation. His face did not betray any emotion. He replied calmly, "Sister, you should leave now."

"Please." He added tiredly, when Zheng Huo Yan made no movement at all.

Zheng Huo Yan trembled in fury. She gritted her teeth and asked again, "Do you know what you are doing? Bringing him back to the capital will bring troubles to the Zheng clan!"

She was clenching her fist so tightly that her nails were drawing blood from her perfect porcelain skin. The mysterious man snorted coldly at her. He took a step forward deliberately. Tilting his head, he sneered mockingly at her, "Why? Does seeing me reminded you of the guilt that you buried deep in your heart? Hmm?"

"Shut up!" In a moment of anger, Zheng Huo Yan swept everything on the small table next to her onto the floor. The expensive porcelain tea sets shattered into smithereens as it fell onto the floor. His words had poked right at her sore spot.

Heaving a heavy sigh, Zheng Qing Yao repeated, "Sister, please. You should leave now."

Zheng Huo Yan turned to look at Qing Yao and saw the resoluteness in her brother's eyes. She knew that look very well. Understanding that she had lost this round, she closed her eyes and took a few deep breathe to regain her composure. When she reopened her eyes later, she let out a cold harrumph. She narrowed her eyes at the man with tattoo and warned with utmost hostility, "Leave, or you will face the consequences for coming back here, Gu Sheng."

With a flap of her sleeves, she walked out of the room without a backward glance at Zheng Qing Yao. Shui Yang immediately supported the wounded Jin Di out of the room. Ye Rong, bowed her head and did not dare to meet Mu Yin and Zheng Qing Yao's eyes as she followed behind Shui Yang tearfully. 

Gu Sheng coldly chuckled as he watched Zheng Huo Yan left with Jin Di, Shui Yang and Ye Rong in tow. Zheng Qing Yao quickly turned to him and said, "Thank you. Looks like I have caused you unnecessary trouble this time."

Catching sight of his troubled look, Gu Sheng shook his head and waved nonchalantly.

"Nah, I have been wanting to beat the crap out of Jin Di for some time." He laughed heartily but stopped halfway when he felt someone's eyes burning into the back of his head. He turned and saw Mu Yin glaring at him with a deep frown. Feeling a little bit uneasy, he quickly changed the subject and asked, "Well, I am pretty surprised to receive your letter after so long... what happened?"

Zheng Qing Yao smiled wryly. The exhaustion on his face was palpable. Gu Sheng opened his mouth to ask again, but Mu Yin quickly came forward, and interrupted in a timely manner.

"The horse carriage is ready. Master, you should get going."

"We'll talk later" Zheng Qing Yao said apologetically as he exited the room.

Mu Yin hurried Zheng Qing Yao off as she kept shooting threatening glares at Gu Sheng. The annoyance on her face was obvious. Realizing it was not a good time to ask anything anymore, Gu Sheng swallowed his words back like a good little puppy he was and shrugged helplessly.