Chapter 37 - Accomplice

Xia Hei did not let himself get disconcerted by Jing Yun Sheng's threat. Instead, he took a deep breath and relaxed his grip on his weapon before standing up to explain calmly, "Sir Jing, please do not get agitated. The reason I came to see you today is to solve this issue. Please listen to what I have to say first. I believe her accomplice are already making the move to get the antidote now."

"Accomplice?" Jing Yun Sheng tilted his head as he carefully repeated the word. The malicious intent in his voice seemed to have decrease ever so slightly.

Encouraged by the response he was getting, Xia Hei nodded in acknowledgement as he continued, "My manor is not a place to be easily infiltrated, but somehow she managed to sneak in. Not to mentioned, after getting wounded, she managed to disappear without a trace that night. There is undoubtedly someone powerful helping her."

"You mean... someone of influence in the Yin Empire?" Jing Yun Sheng lowered his eye, seemingly deep in thought. "Did you find out who is that?"

Seeing that the other person seemed to have calm down after hearing his explanation, Xia Hei smiled as he said confidently, "I haven't figure it out yet... but we will know soon. That person put in so much effort to get her out of there, so I believe they will not let her die so easily. Whoever that is, they will come forward very soon."

Xia Hei seemed to have a plan in mind, but Jing Yun Sheng was distracted. He did not remember Mo Xing Yu knowing anyone affluent from the Yin Empire. Being the Scarlet Emperor, she was basically the enemy of all the Yin nobles and ministers alike, so who could have helped her? He began to wonder in his mind what had happened during the last few months of her disappearance....

Out of the sudden, two consecutive penetrating high pitch sound could be heard and snapped him out of his thought. It was not very loud, but extremely ear-piercing. Xia Hei seemed startled by the sound, and his expression stiffened. His brows drew together, forming a thin line.

"Sir Jing, this is an emergency signal from my men. I must go and see what it is about. Please excuse me! I will send a message to you immediately once I have settled the matter!" Xia Hei said urgently and whirled around abruptly before dashing out of the room without looking back. Baffled, Jing Yun Sheng quickly followed behind. When he stepped out of the room, he was met with Lian Xi's confused gaze as she too was stunned by the loud commotion caused by Xia Hei.

"What happened?" She asked worriedly because she saw Xia Hei suddenly rushing out with a red face, looking extremely angry. He began yelling at his men, and the whole entourage followed him down the stairs in a hurry.

Sensing something was amiss, Jing Yun Sheng shook his head and said, "Seems like something has happened. Let us follow them and see what it is."

Xia Hei ran out of the teahouse, and saw thick black smoke rising into the air a distance away. A dishevelled man ran toward him in haste, and cried fearfully, "Boss! Hei Shi pawnshop has caught fire!"

Xia Hei shouted furiously, "What happened! Why did it catch fire?"

Hei Shi pawnshop was one of Xia Hei's most valuable stores used to gather important intel and run his underground business in the capital city. The location was strategic and a perfect cover when dealing with influential people. Coincidentally, it was located not far from the teahouse. Without further ado, he stormed to the pawnshop a street away, with his men in tow.

From afar, he could see the whole building engulfed in blazing flame from all sides. Helpless wails and screams filled the sky as frightened civilians staying nearby ran helter-skelter to save their belongings. Xia Hei stared with a dreadful expression as the flame consumed the whole building without mercy. His men immediately flocked over to put out the fire. Xia Hei's mind started turning as he did not understand how his pawnshop could catch fire in the middle of the day? Suddenly, he had a bad premonition. Recognition dawned on his face as he immediately turned to look around. He realized someone was missing.

"Where is Lao Qi?" Xia Hei yelled.

"Lao Qi? He was here a moment ago!" One of the men answered.

In the middle of confusion, nobody seemed to notice Lao Qi had gone missing as they were busy putting out the fire. Not to mention, a large crowd of people had also gathered around due to the commotion. Xia Hei looked around frantically, but it was difficult to find someone in a sea of people during the chaos. He shouted at his men to look for Lao Qi immediately. As his men began to spread out to look for Lao Qi, Xia Hei turned back to look at his burning pawnshop motionlessly. His eyes darkened as he realized the fire was not an accident at all. A vein popped on his forehead as he started muttering to himself, "Very well, very well! So, this is how it is then?"

Jing Yun Sheng and Lian Xi had also arrived the scene, but they quietly observed the situation from a distance away.

"How can a building suddenly catch fire in the middle of the day?" Lian Xi asked in suspicion.

"This fire is not an accident." Jing Yun Sheng remarked lightly. Lian Xi eyed him in surprise.

"You mean... someone purposely set the store on fire? But what is the purpose of it? It might be an important store to Xia Hei but burning down one store would not impact his business much," She scoffed in disbelief.

Jing Yun Sheng smirked as he listened to Lian Xi. Naturally, burning down one's store would not have much impact on Xia Hei's business as he had a very strong foundation in the Yin Empire. The goal of the perpetrator was something else...

However, for this person to resort to this method, seemed like he was ready to go to war with Xia Hei and the whole Red Lantern Manor. With Xia Hei's arrogant personality, he would never let anyone off for humiliating him publicly like this. To burn his store down was equivalent to spitting at his face. In less than an hour, the whole capital would catch wind of the Hei Shi pawnshop's destruction. Hei Shi pawnshop was well known to have connection with the Red Lantern Manor. At that moment, Jing Yun Sheng somehow felt that this matter was connected to Mo Xing Yu and her accomplice that Xia Hei mentioned previously.

There was a lot of unanswered question in his mind.

Who is this person that is helping her? Did that person even realize her identity to be willing to go to such length to help her? How many influential people in the Yin Empire would dare to oppose Xia Hei so openly?

Jing Yun Sheng silently mulled over it. His pair of black pupils flickered with a spark as he made up his mind. He must find her as soon as possible before her real identity was discovered by anyone from the Yin Empire...

Whirling around, he said to Lian Xi, "Let's go."

Lian Xi gaped in surprise as she asked, "We are leaving now? What about Xia Hei?"

"Let Xia Hei handle his own matter." Jing Yun Sheng said, without even looking back, "I need to prepare for the banquet tonight."

Lian Xi was stumped for a moment before she ran after her master. She kept glancing furtively at Jing Yun Sheng due to his sudden change of attitude toward the royal banquet. The corner of his lip was lifted slightly, and there was an unspoken enthusiasm in his eyes.

Why did master suddenly look so eager to go to the banquet?

Lian Xi could not think of any reason for him to be. He had always disliked socializing with the Yin noblemen and would try to avoid going to such events, but now, he wanted to prepare for the banquet. Lian Xi had served him for as long as she could remember that she was remarkably familiar with his personality. He would never do anything without a reason.

Master was definitely plotting something for the banquet tonight, Lian Xi thought to herself.

As for Jing Yun Sheng, he was indeed reluctant to attend the banquet at first. However, now he could not wait for it. After all, the royalties, high ranking, and influential people of the Yin Empire will gather in the Imperial Palace for it. Tonight, he was certain that he will be able to meet the person who was secretly helping Mo Xing Yu...