Chapter 16 - The Red Lantern Manor (Part 1)

Somewhere far away from the Yin capital city, there was an infamous place known as the Red Lantern Manor. It was a tall and majestic mansion built strategically right in the center of a huge man-made lake. It was meticulously designed and furnished with various exotic antiques from the far east. Even the most basic stool one could find was made from mahogany, an expensive wood sought after by most aristocrat. It was so lavish that people often compared it to the great Imperial Palace of Yin.

As night fell, the entire building would come to life under the illumination of thousands red lanterns hanging all over the mansion. The tranquil crystal-clear lake reflected the flickering lights, painting an ethereal scene of a dark night decorated with dancing red stars.

To be able to build this place, it could be seen that the owner of the manor was someone extremely extravagant. Indeed, he was the notorious black-market big boss, Xia Hei.

It was a few hours before dawn, and a sumptuously attired young man in his late twenties was going through some documents in his study. Usually at this hour, normal people would have been sleeping like the dead, but Xia Hei had a very peculiar personality. Just like an owl, he would usually work during the wee hour, and when he was working, no one would dare to disturb him.

However, tonight, an unexpected guest had visited the Red Lantern Manor. A man servant carefully approached Xia Hei hesitantly. The footsteps were barely audible, but Xia Hei was extremely sensitive, and his brows immediately creased in annoyance upon sensing the presence of another person.

Xia Hei placed the scroll in his hand down and raised his head. Under the flickering candlelight, his presence was even more imposing than usual as his stern gaze fell onto the approaching servant.

The servant gulped, and quickly lowered his head respectfully in front of his master. He then quickly presented an exquisitely crafted white jade in the shape of a lotus to his displeased master.

Upon seeing the semi translucent jade, Xia Hei's beautifully crafted thick brows raised in surprise. A deep smile slowly emerged from his face as he picked up the precious stone, and carefully inspected the extremely fine and intricate workmanship. The colour of the jade was so pristine that it looked even more breath-taking than a real blooming lotus.

"Truly one of a kind. In this world, there is only one person befitting of such a distinguished jade." The admiration in his voice was palpable, as he gently caressed the gem in his hand. Due to the nature of his business, Xia Hei had seen countless treasures in his life, but it was still a rare sight for him to come across such a heavenly item.

"This guest is as rare as the jade itself. How can I not invite him in if he came with such sincerity?"

Turning to look at his servant, he asked, "Where is the guest?"

"He came using the waterway. Your servant has already invited him to the Moon Pavilion."

There were two paths to enter the Red Lantern Manor. Other than the bridge that connected the manor to the mainland, one could also choose to use the waterway by taking the boats. Moon Pavilion was located right beside the dock and was usually used to receive guests that came by boats. Due to the strategic location of the pavilion, one could admire the spectacular scenery of the tranquil lake and endless high mountains at the pavilion.

***

Under the starry sky, a figure stood leisurely in the pavilion as he admired the brightly lit red lanterns hanged on every corner of the pavilion. He was wearing a pale blue robe with detailed white lotus embroidery, and there was a distinctive jade earring pierced on his left ear. Basked in the faint moonlight, his graceful bearing was extremely bewitching that even Xia Hei was stumped for a moment.

Quickly gathering his thoughts again, he briskly strode into the pavilion with an amiable smile.

"To what do I owe this pleasure for your honourable to personally visit my manor at this ungodly hour?"

Xia Hei did not look at the blue robed man again as he sat down by a round stone table in the middle of the pavilion. He picked up a wine jar to pour out two cups of wine graciously.

The blue robed man casually turned around as he scrutinized Xia Hei. He approached the stone table slowly and took a seat opposite of him.

"It is truly unexpected for the infamous black-market boss to be so young."

His voice carried a hint of gentleness and was very soothing to the ears. It was like the sound of the wind, rustling the leaves in a breezy afternoon.

Xia Hei shook his head and let out a low chuckle.

"Perhaps I have been in this business for too long that many people assumed that I am a balding old man."

The blue robed man smiled gently as if he did not hear the sarcasm in Xia Hei's word. He lifted the wine cup and gracefully took a sip.

"Good wine."

Xia Hei placed the white lotus jade on the table and pushed it across the table.

"Oh? Do you not like my gift?" There was a hint of disappointment in the blue robed man's voice as his slender fingers picked up the ornament. His fingers caressed the stone affectionately, but he kept his gaze on Xia Hei.

"I like it very much, but even if I have nine heads, I still do not dare to receive it." Xia Hei replied regretfully. "Who in this world do not know that this is the heirloom of the Jing clan, belonging to the great Sir Jing Yun Sheng?"

Jing Yun Sheng chuckled lightly as his lucid eyes carefully examined the man sitting opposite of him again. Despite his slightly exotic look, he did not seem to be that ignorant. There was a slight trace of appreciation in his deep gaze, as he replied nonchalantly, "You have regarded me too highly."

Xia Hei gave a polite laugh and directly move to the main point, "I wonder, what is the purpose of Sir Jing's visit today?"

Jing Yun Sheng revealed an ambiguous smile as he glanced at the attendant standing next to him. The servant approached Xia Hei and carefully passed a sandalwood box to him. Inside the box contained a piece of rolled up painting.

"Today I am here to discuss business with you. I know the Red Lantern Manor accept all kind of business, including looking for people."

Xia Hei carefully examined the person in the picture, and pondered for a moment before replying, "I usually do not reject any good business, but there is something that I do not understand. With your status and connection, I believe it would not be difficult to seek a person. Why would you choose us?"

"Precisely because it is too difficult." There was a subtle hint of playfulness in Jing Yun Sheng's voice as his eyes glinted brightly.

"My people have been searching fruitlessly for many months, so I have no other choice but to come to you. However, I do not wish to let anyone else know about this matter. As for the payment, I can assure you that you will definitely be satisfied."

Xia Hei nodded. It seemed that Jing Yun Sheng was quite desperate, or he would not have approached the Red Lantern Manor for help. Indeed, it will be faster to find a person with the black-market's unlimited resources and vast connection in this continent.

To him, it usually did not matter who his customers were, as long as that person could afford the hefty payment. Since it was a good business, he had no reason to refuse.

"Do not worry. I have been in this business for so many years. All the deals in Red Lantern Manor will be kept confidential. This is our core principle."

Xia Hei rolled up the painting and passed it to his own servant.

"There is another thing."

Xia Hei turned his attention back to his guest, "Yes, my honourable guest?"

"I heard that you have recently come to possession of a very well-known painting."

"Oh? May I know which painting you are referring to?" Xia Hei asked. His interest was piqued when he saw the unfathomable look on Jing Yun Sheng's face. His heart skipped a beat when he heard the latter's reply.

"The Purple Azaleas"