Chapter 19 - The Flowers Did Not Wither, But the Heart Had Died

Xia Hei studied the painting in his hand carefully. The woman in the painting had long silky black hair and luscious red lips that were slightly curved upward, forming an ambiguous smile. She was wearing a flaming red dress that contrasted greatly with her porcelain fair skin. Hiding beneath those thick eye lashes were a pair of unyielding eyes. Her inky black pupils exuded an indescribable lofty aura, yet one could feel her wilful personality through her obscure expression. Her portrait was painted meticulously. It could be seen that the painter had put in a lot of thoughts and feelings into it.

If Xia Hei was to describe this woman, then he would say that she was not as per the rumours he heard. He would not compare her to a goddess that had descended to the mortal world nor equate her to the daughter of the sun. However, she could still be considered as a rare beauty, especially her intoxicating gaze that he found extremely bewitching.

For a woman who held such importance in Jing Yun Sheng's heart, if he had to take a guess, then she could only be the legendary beauty, Yang Yi. However, there were not many people who had seen the real appearance of the beauty, as she was the precious gem of the great Yang clan.

Moreover, after she became the consort of the Scarlet Emperor, it was practically impossible to catch a glimpse of her. In the past, even with the influence of the Red Lantern Manor, the task of getting her portrait was as difficult as plucking the moon from the sky. Even so, such precious portrait actually came falling into his lap without him needing to lift a finger. What an irony.

Now that Xia Hei finally get a glimpse of this famous beauty, his heart could not help but wondered, was it really worthy to give up everything just for a beauty?

After the brief meeting with Jing Yun Sheng yesterday, Xia Hei was even more assertive that this transcendent young man was not at all a superficial fellow who would lust over a ravishing beauty. He was too shrewd, far-sighted, and ruthless. Power and wealth did not intrigue him, yet rumours told that for the sake of a woman, he was willing to bear the crime of mutiny.

A cold smile emerged on Xia Hei's lips as his black pupils flickered with an unfathomable fascination. Perhaps, what was on the line was something more than just a stunning beauty?

"They are here."

A low voice interrupted Xia Hei's deep thought. Slightly raising his head, Xia Hei glanced at the approaching man in his late forties. He was his loyal servant, Lao Qi.

Xia Hei hummed lightly in acknowledgement, before rolling up the painting carefully.

"What about the painter?"

"I have sent Lao Si to go fetch the painter this morning. He should be here soon."

Xia Hei nodded as he stood up and straightened his robe.

"You know the urgency of this matter. As soon as the painter is here, start making copies of the portrait immediately. I want the search to begin as soon as possible."

Lao Qi nodded in acknowledgement, before leading his master out of the study room toward the Moon Pavilion. Jing Yun Sheng had mentioned that he would send someone here for the auction today. Since it was a special guest, Xia Hei had taken the initiative to greet them personally.

No matter what, Xia Hei had yet to completely grasp Jing Yun Sheng's intention, thus anything related to this man must be handled with caution. After all, this man was once deeply affiliated with the devil before.

A veiled lady stood up and gracefully bowed her head to greet Xia Hei as soon as he approached.

"Lian Xi is here on behalf of my master." Her voice was beguiling, yet pale in comparison to her master.