Chapter 36 - Conflict of the Past (Part 1)

"The daughter of the sun, Yang Yi?"

Xia Hei narrowed his eyes suspiciously at Jing Yun Sheng. He found it extremely difficult to believe in Jing Yun Sheng's words.

He had been digging around for information about Yang Yi. Even though he did not manage to secure a portrait, but he had heard enough to know that Yang Yi was renowned for her elegance and benevolence. Yang Yi was the eldest daughter of the Yang clan, one of the powerful old clan in Mo Empire. She might not be involved with the royal court, but her father was a powerful high-ranking minister in the court. Using her affluent background as a noblewoman, she was actively involved in many charities. At the mention of her name, the people of Mo could not stop singing praises, for her beauty was as peerless as her virtue. That was how she had gotten the nickname as the daughter of the sun. However, there were barely any news about her anymore after she had entered the inner harem.

Xia Hei thought to himself quietly. He could not believe the woman he met that night was the famous Lady Yang Yi. That person was completely opposite of what he had heard. She was arrogant, wilful and cold blooded. He could never forget the murderous gaze in her eyes as she took down his men brutally.

Which part of her is "elegant" and "benevolent"???

Veins popped in Xia Hei's forehead as he clenched his fist in anger.

"Her skills are vicious and cruel. It was not like what I have heard of the so called... 'unparalleled delicate beauty' with a 'benevolent heart'." Xia Hei enunciated the words 'unparalleled delicate beauty' and 'benevolent heart' with such difficulty as if it was poison to him.

A rueful smile slowly formed on Jing Yun Sheng's face when he heard the sarcasm in Xia Hei's word. He had already expected Xia Hei's reaction since he had already met her in person, and he could imagine that it was quite an unpleasant encounter from Xia Hei's face, which was as black as the bottom of a frying pan. He cleared his throat slightly and put on a sorrowful face.

"If one had to live in a pit of hell for so long, what kind of pure heart would be able to endure it? The circumstances around her gave her no choice at all. To survive, she had to do what she had to do."

His voice carried a hint of regret. His smile had long disappeared, replaced with a wistful expression. The pair of black pupils were murky as he continued in a low voice, "For her to become what she is today.... I am partly responsible for it."

Jing Yun Sheng seemed to be lost in his own thought as recalled the past. At that moment, Lian Xi surreptitiously stole a glance at her master. Jing Yun Sheng let out a soft sigh and asked, "Boss Xia, you should be able to understand this better than anyone else. Aren't you the same as well?"

Xia Hei did not reply when he heard his question. He knew Jing Yun Sheng already had the answer to it. It seemed that Jing Yun Sheng did some investigation on his past and was able to grasp how he achieve the success he had today. It was not a glorious story, but a painful past that Xia Hei never wanted to revisit.

Born in a noble clan, he was once a righteous and honourable person. Xia Hei sneered coldly as his hand instinctively touched his own chest. Beneath the luxurious silk robe, it hid a hideous scar across his body. A scar that he looked at every day, so how could he not understand what Jing Yun Sheng was trying to imply?

On the day he received the scar, the old naïve him had died. He had been reborn and became the Xia Hei today. A nefarious person who only cared about his own life and would not hesitate to trample on others to achieve his desire. This was exactly how he came to be the infamous black-market big boss. The old wounds would forever serve as a reminder to all the betrayals and suffering that he had to go through; he will never ever forget a moment of it until he took his last breath!

The hatred was embedded so deep in his heart that he swore on his own life that he would never forget his vengeance. Indeed, a person could change if he had been through life and death situation. Although Xia Hei did not completely believe Jing Yun Sheng, he decided not to dwell on the matter of her identity for now. If Jing Yun Sheng did not want to tell him the truth, there was no point in trying to force it out from his mouth. He might as well send his people to check on the facts later in secret.

"Since she is your fiancée, then why did she not look for you as soon as she escaped from the Mo Palace? Instead, you had to look around for her tirelessly like this..." He grumbled, still feeling sore over the loss of his men to a supposedly 'delicate beauty'.

Jing Yun Sheng gave him a weak smile, but the smile disappeared as quickly as it came at Xia Hei's next word.

"It seems to me that she did not want to be reunited with you, Sir Jing."

Authors note:

Sorry for the relatively short chapter this week. The author has just started a new job so things are rather hectic now. It has been a rather difficult week, so yeah. Thanks for reading anyway!