Chapter 35 - The Confrontation (Part 3)

Xia Hei stood by the window as he looked down at the bustling street. His expression was grim, as he watched the people come and go. It had been a while since he last stepped out of the Red Lantern Manor, especially during this hour when the sun rose to the highest in the sky. He disliked crowded area, but due to the urgency of the matter, he had no choice but to make a trip to the capital of Yin today. Lao Qi who was watching him by his side mustered up his courage and asked cautiously, "Boss, will it be alright?"

Xia Hei did not reply immediately as he continued to gaze out of the window in deep contemplation. "What would not be alright?" He finally replied after a long moment.

"I mean, how will Jing Yun Sheng react if he knew what happened?" Lao Qi stuttered nervously.

The corner of Xia Hei's lips curved, revealing a mocking smile as he turned to look at Lao Qi. "Well, you will find out very soon."

Before Lao Qi could say anything more, they heard a soft knock on the door. Lao Qi quickly went over to open the door. The other person behind the door revealed a charming smile that resembled a refreshing spring. Those enchanting pair of eyes glistened brightly as he strode into the room with grace. Following closely behind him was a gentle petite figure.

"I hope you did not wait too long."

Jing Yun Sheng lightly said as Xia Hei invited him to take a seat. Lian Xi who had been following behind him tactfully stepped forward and picked up the wine jug on the table. Her movement was nimble and flawless as she poured the wine into two exquisite cups before retreating to her spot.

Jing Yun Sheng lifted the wine cup and said, "This is to apologise for my lateness. There was some unexpected delay on my way here just now." He threw his head back and downed the cup in one go.

Xia Hei shook his head and replied nonchalantly, "No worries. I heard Sir Jing... has been very busy visiting the refugee camps under the order of the Yin Emperor."

A faint smile slowly formed on Jing Yun Sheng's face as he heard Xia Hei's remark. Putting down his wine cup, his pair of dark pupils looked toward Xia Hei with an unspoken ambiguity. Xia Hei maintained his calmness as he waited patiently for the other party to speak. Jing Yun Sheng suddenly broke out into laughter as he said, "I am surprised that a busy man like you would pay attention to such minor matter. Yes, His Majesty has assigned me to oversee the refugee camps... which I cannot decline. After all, it has always been the duty of my clan to serve the people of the Mo, especially during difficult times like this."

Xia Hei watched the expression of the man in front of him carefully. He had received information that Jing Yun Sheng personally offered himself to oversee the refugee camps after the war. For a person with a status like him to take up such troubling menial task, it could be seen how far the length he was willing to go in order to seek for that particular one person. Not to mention, he could just manage the paperwork from the back of the scene, yet he had personally visited those camps in person frequently. Even Xia Hei knew how unpleasant the situation of the refugee camps would be after the end of a long brutal war. It was not a scene any normal aristocrat can withstand.

Of course, normal cannot be used to describe Jing Yun Sheng at all. The smile on Xia Hei's face deepened meaningfully as he replied, "I see. Sir Jing... is extremely benevolent indeed."

Jing Yun Sheng remained poised as if he could not hear the sarcasm in Xia Hei's words. Without further ado, Xia Hei signalled Lao Qi to come forward with a sandalwood box. It was the very same box that Jing Yun Sheng gave him. Lao Qi walked over and passed it to Lian Xi.

"This painting seems to be extremely precious to Sir Jing. Since our painter has done his job, I shall return it back to the owner as soon as possible."