Chapter 33 - The Confrontation (Part 1)

A willowy white figure slowly walked into a serene courtyard, a gilded invitation in her hands. She was about to reach the front door when a string of melodious music filled the air. She stopped in her pace and listened attentively to the beautiful notes echoing throughout the entire courtyard. It started extremely slow in the beginning, before it began to pick up, flowing quickly and more intensely as the rhythm continued to build up. It was such a bewitching melody that the listener was immediately swept away in the moment by the overwhelming emotions in the music.

It was not long when the song slowly reached it conclusion, and again the courtyard fell back into a deep silence. Lian Xi continued to stand rooted on the ground, seemingly lost in her own thought as she absently stared at the door in front of her.

"Are you not coming in?"

A tender voice brought her back from reverie. It seemed that owner of the beautiful music had already realized her presence. Collecting her thoughts, she quietly pushed the red cedar door open. Once inside, the wafting scent of sweet lotus entered her nose. She saw his lofty figure leaning against the divan. He was wearing a loose night robe, with his dark hair scattered on his shoulder. His slender fingers were resting on the string of the zither in front of him.

"Master, this just came for you."

With her head bowed, Lian Xi placed the card in front of Jing Yun Sheng. He studied the card briefly before he let out a slow sigh. His brows knitted tightly as he put the card down.

"The Yin Emperor has summoned for me to attend an official banquet tomorrow night. Looks like I cannot decline this."

His fingers lightly caressed the string of the zither by his side as he contemplated for a moment. Seeing his seemingly annoyed expression, Lian Xi frowned.

"The Yin Emperor is getting more and more overbearing. He really thinks that you are his subject now." She muttered dissatisfiedly. Lian Xi did not bother to hide her despise toward the Yin Emperor in front of her master. In her heart, no man could ever be compared with her master. And yet, this insignificant Yin Emperor was acting as if he were above him.

Jing Yun Sheng did not reprimand her. He smirked and replied unhurriedly, "Naturally. After all, he is an overly ambitious man. Someone like him... can never be satisfied. He will only keep asking for more. However, we have no choice but to remain patient for now."

Closing his eyes, he gently rubbed his temple wearily. At that moment Lian Xi dropped her gaze. Her eyes betrayed a guilt-ridden expression, but Jing Yun Sheng did not notice it as he was not paying attention. She quickly composed herself, and proceeded to ask tentatively, "Then... what about the appointment with Xia Hei? Should I cancel the meetup tomorrow?"

Jing Yun Sheng lowered his hand and turned to look at her quietly. Lian Xi furthered lowered her head.

"No, since he had asked to meet urgently, he must have something for me." His voice carried a hint of solemnity. He tapped his fingers lightly on the invitation card as he contemplated for a moment. After careful deliberation, he finally instructed, "Ask Xia Hei to meet me in the Yin Capital tomorrow."

"Will it be too rush? You still have to rush to the palace for the banquet at night." Lian Xi asked in confusion, but Jing Yun Sheng shook his head in response. Since he was persistent, she did not say anything further. She made a sound of acknowledgement, curtsied, and picked up the invitation card.

Retreating a few steps, she turned around to go. She almost reached the door when his voice interrupted her.

"Do you think Xia Hei has found her?" His voice was light but clear.

Lian Xi was startled by the unexpected question. She whirled around and saw him looking out of the window, watching the clear night sky in deep thought. There was an unexplainable imposing air in the room as compared to just now. Lian Xi did not dare to reply carelessly, so she kept quiet. They had been searching fruitlessly for months but there was no progress at all. It was merely a few days since they had listed Xia Hei for his help, so she did not think Xia Hei would have found anything yet so fast.

Unexpectedly, Xia Hei had suddenly sent an urgent request to ask to meet up with Jing Yun Sheng. Even though he did not mention the reason behind the request, but Xia Hei was not an idle man who would do something without reason. She had an ominous feeling about this meeting, but she had no choice but to go along with it, because Jing Yun Sheng already made up his mind.

For Jing Yun Sheng to ask her this question, she felt extremely tormented, but she knew he was waiting for her answer. Gripping her hand tightly under her sleeve, she tried to remain calm as she replied carefully, "I am not sure... but with his connection, he will definitely be able to find her soon."

Jing Yun Sheng turned to look at her. Under the illuminating bright moonlight, those pair of clear eyes were extremely enchanting, yet it felt very distant in the same time. He looked at her fixedly, as if trying to read her mind. Lian Xi did not dare to avoid his gaze as she stood still and waited for him to speak again.

"Do you really think so?" There was an unusual coldness in his voice. He rarely spoke to her like that, but she knew why he did so.

Lian Xi felt her heart dropped to the bottom of her stomach. She immediately knelt down on the wooden floor and said, "I know this is all my fault. I have failed you... but, at that time, at that time, I really..." She desperately wanted to explain to him, but before she knew it, her face was already wet with tears, and she started choking uncontrollably. Her petite body trembled like a leaf as she bowed her head low on the ground in remorse. At that moment, she looked extremely pitiful. Jing Yun Sheng frowned as he listened to her soft sobs, but he did not say anything. After a long moment of silence, he finally let out a long soft sigh, and turned away.

"No. It is not your fault. You have been with me for so many years. It must not be easy for you as well. It is... my own miscalculation." He murmured softly with regret.

Lian Xi lifted her head up and was about to say something when Jing Yun Sheng exhaustedly waved for her to retreat.

"You should go. I am tired."

His voice was extremely distant. Feeling dejected, Lian Xi knew he did not want to hear her explanation anymore. Feeling defeated, she could only wipe her tears and quietly took her dismissal.

If only things could have happened differently that day...