Chapter 27 - A Bet (Part 1)

At an exclusive teahouse, on the third floor of a private room, Yin He was lying back on a cushion and reading a book leisurely. There was a table in the middle of the room, filled with plates of exquisite delicacies. Not too far from the table, Bai Qin was brewing tea meticulously. The room was filled with a light scent of sandalwood.

One of the servants announced the arrival of Zheng Qing Yao. The corner of Yin He's lips quirked up as he lifted his head lazily.

"Is the tea ready?" He drawled and put down the book in his hand.

Bai Qin nodded, as she brought the teapot over to the table, and poured two cups of tea. A servant lead Zheng Qing Yao into the room. Yin He stood up and strode over to the table in the middle of the room. He gestured to Zheng Qing Yao to take a seat before joining him at the table. After making sure everything was in place properly, Bai Qin signalled the other servants to retreat. Her eyes drifted to another adjacent room hidden behind the curtain momentarily before she closed the door, leaving the two of them with some privacy.

Zheng Qing Yao expression carried a hint of tension as he sat solemnly without saying a word. The other person seemed unbothered as he picked up the cup and sipped the tea slowly.

"Mm, this is a rare tea brought back from the far east. The taste is exceptionally light and fresh. Have a try. If you like it, I will ask Bai Qin to send some over to your manor," Yin He said casually, breaking the silence.

Zheng Qing Yao was reluctant at first, but Yin He did not back down. Yin He raised his eyebrows and nodded at the teacup sitting untouched in front of him. Sighing, Zheng Qing Yao picked up the cup and took a sip without even tasting it.

"Lord Yin, I'll be frank with you. I am sure you know why I am here today."

Yin He let out a light chuckle and shook his head slowly.

"Lord Zheng, you are way too tense. You should relax a little bit more. Today I purposely prepared a feast for you, but it seems like my good intention is in vain." Yin He teased with a hint of mischief in his voice.

Unperturbed, Zheng Qing Yao replied solemnly, "Lord Yin, a human life is at stake here, hence I hope you can help to give me some answers."

A wide smile formed on Yin He's face, and the corner of his eyes crinkled. The pair of dark eyes lit up as he scrutinized the person in front of him for a moment. Leaning his body back in a more relax position, he spoke again, "Well, if Lord Zheng put it that way, then I cannot continue to be so frivolous. Alright then, how can I help you? I'll try my best to give you some answers then."

Zheng Qing Yao's gaze harden slightly as he finally asked, "Lord Yin, what have happened to Meng Yu?"

Yin He burst into laughter upon hearing the question, but the young man in front of him was still unfazed. Sitting calmly, he waited patiently for the other person's reply. It was not a surprise for Zheng Qing Yao to know that Yin He was the one who dropped Meng Yu back to the Silver Sky Mansion. In the capital, there were not many people who knew about Meng Yu and her association with him. Yin He did not seem to have the intention of keeping it a secret as well. In fact, he was waiting for Zheng Qing Yao to come forward. Still, he was quite impressed with Zheng Qing Yao straightforwardness. There were no pretences or beating around the bushes with this person.

"It wasn't me. I did not do it to her." Lifting both of his hand up in the air, Yin He quickly proclaimed his innocence, but the playful smile was still plastered on his smug face.

Zheng Qing Yao slowly nodded. "I trust you, but can you tell me how did she get injured so badly?"

"Why don't you ask her yourself-" Yin He paused mid-sentence, as realization dawned upon him.