Chapter 34 - The Confrontation (Part 2)

"Mo clan?"

Zheng Qing Yao's brows arched slightly as he carefully repeated the two words again. A unique symbol that looked like blossoming flower yet at the same time resembled blood splatters. It was the first time he had seen it, but he had never expected it to be the symbol engraved on the legendary Devil's hand. The insignia of the Mo clan.

"Yes. This is what Jing Yun Sheng personally told me."

Gu Sheng solemnly recalled the moment he saw the insignia, and Jing Yun Sheng's every word to him during their encounter five years ago.

"According to him, this is the original symbol of the Mo clan. It was widely used during the ancient war time before the forming of the empire. Jing clan is one of the oldest clans that had fought side by side with the Mo clan a century ago, hence they were remarkably familiar with the history of Mo Empire. The Mo symbol that we are familiar with is only created after the forming of the Mo Empire. The first Emperor of the Mo wanted to honour those old clans that had fought side by side with him and supported him to unite the land, hence he changed his clan insignia to the Mo symbol that we all know today."

The courtyard immediately fell into a dead silence. Mu Yin held her breath in stupefaction as she turned her attention back to the sole figure standing by the door of the study room. She did not realize it when she first saw the symbol on the back of Meng Yu, because it was completely different from the Mo insignia that they had known all their life. There was a rarely seen complicated expression on the face of the young man that she had served for half of her life. It seems that even Zheng Qing Yao was quite taken aback by this revelation as well.

Gu Sheng narrowed his eyes at Zheng Qing Yao, the wheels in his head turning quickly. He took a few steps forward and said tentatively, "I heard half a year ago, you joined the expedition with the Yin army to the Mo empire."

His suspicion was confirmed when Zheng Qing Yao met his gaze silently.

"So, you really did bring her back from Mo Empire..." He murmured in exasperation.

"But... isn't the Scarlet Emperor is the last descendant of the Mo clan?" Mu Yin asked in disbelief.

"That is what we were told... but who really know the truth other than the Mo people themselves?"

It was true. They were not familiar with the Mo Empire history. Perhaps even the Mo people might not realize that Scarlet Emperor was not the last descendant of the royal family. It was not impossible for the Mo clan to still have survivor. There were too many possibilities, but those would only be assumptions without facts. Gu Sheng gaze slowly swept past Mu Yin and finally landed onto Zheng Qing Yao again.

"Everyone thought the Mo clan has perished from the world. Now... there is another girl who appears to be from the Mo clan. Her identity... will cause a lot of trouble."

Gu Sheng stared at Zheng Qing Yao unblinkingly, waiting for the other person to give a response. The Zheng Qing Yao he knew was highly intelligent and had always been prudent in his action. Despite being closely related to the Empress of Yin, he disliked getting involved with the court affair, and strived to stay away from the chaos. Hence all these years, he had threaded the thin line carefully. It had been an onerous task to keep the Zheng clan out of the royal battle.

However, this time, he had brought someone who was related to the Mo clan back into the capital of Yin. If this matter was discovered by others, whether that person had ill intentions or not, the Zheng clan will not be able to avoid this calamity. Even with Zheng Huo Yan's current position, she would not be able to protect the clan from harm. Instead, it would even drag her down together into this muddy water.