Chapter 30 - True Identity (Part 2)

*Flashback*

Meng Yu was jolted awake by a sharp piercing cry that came from outside. There was a brief moment of confusion when she realized that she was back in her own bed chamber. She tried to push herself up, but the pain was agonizing. She gasped involuntarily.

"Princess is awake!"

One of the female attendants noticed her movement and quickly came forward to help her.

"What happened?" Meng Yu asked weakly. The servants lowered their heads fearfully. None of them dared to utter a sound.

The almost inhumane scream continued again. This time, it sounded familiar, yet foreign at the same time. A heavy sense of foreboding invaded Meng Yu's every nerve, as she fought hard to keep her calm. She asked again with a sinking feeling, almost stuttering.

"What happened? Speak!"

Her whole body trembled, and she could not contain her agitation anymore. The event on the frozen lake flashed through her mind. Deep in her heart, she knew something terribly wrong must have happened. The solemn expressions on the servants' face, and the agonizing, heart rending wailing coming from outside. She was very terrified for the first time in her life, but she must know what happened. She must know!

"Speak!" She lashed out and coughed out a mouthful of blood.

"Your highness!" The maids and eunuchs immediately kneeled in unison with their head bowed low on the ground. All of them were extremely frightened to the point of not being able to speak.

The piercing cries stopped, and for a moment, the whole chamber was incredibly quiet. It was so silent that one could even hear a pin dropped onto the floor. An extremely beautiful but weary looking woman slowly staggered into the bed chamber. A middle-aged female attendant carefully supported her as she led the prestigious woman into the room.

Her makeup was smeared by tears, but it could not hide the alluring face of hers. Dressed in the most luxurious dress, and adorned with the most valuable jewelleries, she was extremely graceful and elegant. There was vivid resemblance between her and Meng Yu. She was the Empress of the Mo Empire, the birth mother of the current Crown Prince Mo Lie Yun and Princess Mo Xing Yu.

"Mother-" Meng Yu hoarse voice could barely escape her throat.

The grim expression on the face of the Empress was terrifying. Meng Yu could feel the bottom dropping out of her stomach. She had never seen her mother with this kind of expression. The Empress was always cold and distant. An extremely proud and decisive woman who did not have much empathy and compassion, even to her own flesh and blood.

However today, she was visibly grief stricken. She had cried in front of all the lowly servants. The woman who took so much pride in her own nobility had revealed her own vulnerability in the public for the first time in her life. That was when realization sank deep into Meng Yu's heart. But no, she refused to believe it. She would not accept it!

As if she could read Meng Yu's mind, the Empress looked coldly at her, and spoke clearly. The penetrating gaze did not leave her as she broke the devastating news to Meng Yu, as if putting all the blame on her.

"They have finally found Lie Yun's body."

Meng Yu felt herself losing it. Her calm, her sanity. Lie Yun is her brother, her confidant, her twin. Her everything. She began choking in tears, as she asked, "What are you talking about...?"

"I say... they found Lie Yun's body in the lake."

Meng Yu lunged forward, and held onto the Empress's sleeves tightly, as she shrieked, "No! This cannot be! You are lying!"